🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Report a client
Page options
secretwhistle
Community Member

Report a client

Someone is running a check-cashing scam disguised as a for-hire job. I have screenshots of the conversations I've had with the person posting the job as well as the person acting as the HR person for the company they're impersonating. I can't flag the job because it's no longer active but want Upwork and its users to be aware of this. 

There seems to be no direct way to report a client. Customer service links take me here. Is there anyone at Upwork who can escalate this?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
prestonhunter
Community Member

Tim, all you need to do is use the "Flag as inappropriate" link button located in the top right hand corner of the job posting page.

If the job posting is no longer active, it is probably because Upwork has already removed the job and the fraudulent client.

You do not need to do anything else at this point.

This scam has been around for many years. No escalation necessary.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
prestonhunter
Community Member

Tim, all you need to do is use the "Flag as inappropriate" link button located in the top right hand corner of the job posting page.

If the job posting is no longer active, it is probably because Upwork has already removed the job and the fraudulent client.

You do not need to do anything else at this point.

This scam has been around for many years. No escalation necessary.

Thanks for your response. I just wanted to have it documented somewhere else in case the client decides to jump back in and give me a negative review for reporting the scam.

Tim, I appreciate your thoughtfulness.

For future reference, a client can't give you a negative review or affect you in any way if she hasn't hired you.

feed_my_eyes
Community Member

If you can't flag the job, it's probably because someone already reported it.

Tim, thanks for the amusing screenshots, and hope you didn't give them your email or physical address.

LOL here's the latest:

**Edited for community guidelines**

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Tim, 

It looks like the team has taken action against the client you are referring to. In the future, you can immediately flag any client or job posts that raise any red flags. 

I highly recommend that you read up the "Safety First!" section of the freelancer resources we have compiled, and these tips for avoiding questionable jobs for more information about working safely through Upwork.

~ Avery
Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members