🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Report an unethical freelancer?
Page options
ginny_somers
Community Member

Report an unethical freelancer?

Is there a way to report a freelancer who is soliciting for someone to write materials he intends to pass off as his own writing samples? His job post blatantly says he needs writing samples to compete for a job but he doesn't have time to write them. What the...??? Is there any way to flag this with Upwork?

4 REPLIES 4
melaniekhenson
Community Member

Ginny S wrote:

Is there a way to report a freelancer who is soliciting for someone to write materials he intends to pass off as his own writing samples? His job post blatantly says he needs writing samples to compete for a job but he doesn't have time to write them. What the...??? Is there any way to flag this with Upwork?

Hmmm. I would probably just go ahead and report it and if it isn't a problem per TOS then there's really no harm done. You would just flag the job. (ETA: Lower left-hand corner.)

I don't know the details but I know it could also just mean he wants to compete in the marketplace...? Which wouldn't be weird at all. People write "for" other people's resumes and other items that won't be the applicant's actual words/work. I mean if he blatantly said "I need to compete for a writing job, so write really well for me and I'm taking the credit" then yeah...I'd report. 😉

I do know sometimes flaggers jump the gun. From the client's side I got slapped on the hand for posting (in the deliverables section...so, obviously only for a hired FLer) that I wanted him/her to brainstorm ideas, but that any I didn't accept would be the freelancer's own. I said, briefly, that if I didn't pay for the idea I won't own or use it.

I stated it that way - apparently pretty badly - because as an FLer, I've had hires pump me for ideas, say they'd get back to me to write one, then say "oh...that wasn't a great fit, think of some more," and later I found my ideas badly and probably much more cheaply written about on the site. Then once in a while I'd get thrown a bone since I was after all hired. And while it's never ruined my day, I just think the practice is irritating. But naturally, UW being UW, 😄 someone panicked and freaked out and reported that I "solicted free work" (what the actual...?) UW took down my posting until I "changed" it. I lost a day and now my job is lost in the shuffle. Ah well, I'll hire someone directly. 

So personally I would be fairly/reasonably sure before jumping the gun. But yes, technically you are ALWAYS in your rights to flag a job. If you're worried then that's what you should do.

He specifically said **edited for Community Guidelines** (His spelling, not mine.) As a writer and as someone who has hired writers, I’m appalled by such a blatant attempt to dupe clients. The job posting seems to be gone now. I hope he was reported and left with his tail between his legs.

If this client specifically said that he wants someone to create writing samples because he's applying for a job, then YES, report him. The writing samples, which are put in  your portfolio should be your own. That would come under a fake profile. (IMO) If he's doing that, I wouldn't be surprised if his profile and picture are fake too. 

When in doubt about something, flag it and let Upwork sort it out and determine if it violates their TOS.

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Ginny, 

I would like to confirm that if you think that the job looks suspicious, or you feel it violates the Upwork Terms of Service, you may flag the job post as inapproriate and the team will review it against our ToS, and take the actions as they see fit. 

~ Avery
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths