hemnmohammed

Hello there,

I have contracted with someone to translate a document, he said the work is urgent and need to be done in only 48 hours, it was about 2750 words, so after about 35 hours he paused the contract and he has NOT come back yet. even he does not answer any message while I have finished the work, and we have a contract and everything is here, now the question is what should I do? 

Your help is highly appreciated.

Thanks!

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Hemn,

Unfortunately, only the client can resume this contract in order for you to be able to work and track time on it. There are various reasons why clients may need to pause their contract and I hopefully your client will get back to you with more information and further instructions soon.

~ Valeria
Upwork

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21
mdm4two

If it is a hourly contract so it is not a problem, you will get paid for the hours you worked.

aocumen

Hi Hemm, 

I checked your account and can see that the project you are referring to is an hourly contract. As long as you logged time to your Upwork Desktop App for this contract, and the contract meets the qualifications to be protected under an Hourly Contract, you will be paid according to the Weekly Billing Cycle

~ Avery
Upwork

Thank you so much for replying me back. but You can ask the client that we agreed on fixed price 8$ per hour for 10 hours which means (80 USD) for the task. and you can look the contract up. the problem is, he does NOT answer and I have done the project.

Thank you!

@hemn M wrote:

Thank you so much for replying me back. but You can ask the client that we agreed on fixed price 8$ per hour for 10 hours which means (80 USD) for the task. and you can look the contract up. the problem is, he does NOT answer and I have done the project.

Thank you!

Did you track your time or did you not track your time?

If you tracked your time you will get paid automatically for the hours you tracked.

Is the contract still open?

Do you really need 10 hours to translate 2750 words?

Petra, that was how we dealt the contract and the contract is still there, they can track it up, he said the project is urgent and I need it back in 48 hours so he send the offer and I just accepted it. the contract is PAUSED and he is not there for FIVE days. I am still waiting and I don't know what to do.

Thank you!

Hi Hemn,

Unfortunately, only the client can resume this contract in order for you to be able to work and track time on it. There are various reasons why clients may need to pause their contract and I hopefully your client will get back to you with more information and further instructions soon.

~ Valeria
Upwork

Valeria, Thank you for your answer. and I accepted your answer as a solution 🙂 but what if he would NOT come back because he paused the contract a week ago. when you say SOON? what does that mean? if he was there i would ask him what's wrong, and do not bother you but the problem is HE IS NOT THERE. 

Thank you by the way

I usually enter manual time each day. You have no option but to hope that he comes back. It's possible he thought you were a flake freelancer and disappeared and paused the contract because he saw no work activity. That's a shame.

I would look to see if he hired someone else, and if he did then he's probably not coming back. He could have hired on another platform too. 

I would write this off as a loss and be pleasantly surprised if he comes back.

Hello there,

This is the second time that I try to ask but I have NOT got a convincible answer, by the way, it was August 12th i had a contract with someone, he sent me 2,700 words, he said I need the project in two business days, and he sent the contract and I just accepted it, and then, I finished the project, but he just paused the contract I Don't know why?! 

last time, one of the ppl who is working for Upwork (if I am not mistaken) She said since this is an hourly contract, you have to wait, but till when should i wait? today is 30th, he paused on August 12th, 

The contract is still there, i said 10 hours and 8.00$ for each, which means 80.00$. by the way, what should i do now? what if he does not come back anymore? 

Thank you

How many hours did you track with the tracker and what is in the work diary?

at that time i did not track or something, i said i can finish it up in two days, he said ok, but he did not come back when paused the contract. 😞

@hemn M wrote:

at that time i did not track or something, i said i can finish it up in two days, he said ok, but he did not come back when paused the contract. 😞

If you have an hourly contract you track your hours. If you track your hours you get paid automatically. If you do not track your hours and the client does not pay you you're out of luck and there is nothing in the universe anyone can do about it.

Payment.jpg

hhhhh why you get angry, misunderstanding is not a shame 😞 i am a fresh frelance translater, i have no idea about this, and what i knew i accept the offer, in my opinion i said since i accept the offer it means everything will be just fine. however, thank you

Best,

@hemn M wrote:

Petra, that was how we dealt the contract and the contract is still there, they can track it up, he said the project is urgent and I need it back in 48 hours so he send the offer and I just accepted it. the contract is PAUSED and he is not there for FIVE days. I am still waiting and I don't know what to do.

If it was an hourly contract then you should have tracked your time while working. Not doing so means you may not get paid and there is nothing anyone can do about it. It does not matter whether it was urgent or whatever was said.

If you want to make sure to get paid on an hourly contract you track your time. If you want to be sure to get paid on a fixed rate contract, you make sure it is funded.

That's the way the system works.

re: "The contract is still there, i said 10 hours and 8.00$ for each, which means 80.00$. by the way, what should i do now? what if he does not come back anymore?"

Hemn:

It really does sound like you used the Upwork system improperly.

This is your fault, not the client's fault.

What should you do?

You should learn from your mistakes and not repeat those same mistakes in the future.

When we use use Upwork properly, logging our time as we work, then we are paid automatically. We do not do anything beyond that. We don't sent invoices. The client does not approve our work. The client does not send payment. The client does nothing.

So if a client "comes back" or not, it is completely irrelevent to whether or not we get paid.

😮 why it is my fault?

he sent the file and accepted the offer when i was almost done he just paused the contract, he does not come back, even he didnt tell me whats wrong?!  it is about 18 days i am still waiting 😕

@hemn M wrote:

😮 why it is my fault?

Because

you

had

an

hourly

job

and

did

not

track

your

hours

Thank you so much for your advice, you are right, as i have mentioned already, i am a fresh freelancer, i have no idea about these issues, however as they say "man learns from his mistakes", i said since i accept the offer it means everything is just ok, but it seems i was wrong!

Thank you very much

lysis10

Lol purposely obtuse
Good grief.

re: "why it is my fault?"

The client hired you in good faith. He hired you using a legitimate hourly contract.

He asked you to work for him. When working using an hourly contract, that means the freelancer is required to log his time.

Had you done that, you would have been paid automatically for all the time that you logged.

If you don't like the idea that you (the freelancer) are said to be "at fault" in this, then just ignore that concept. That doesn't change the fact that you weren't paid.

Regardless of who is at fault, you were not paid as a result of actions that you took.

You need to understand that this is good thing. This experience has helped you to learn an important lesson about how Upwork works. You will not forget this, and you will be paid for your work in the future.