cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reportable, or not reportable?

Community Guru
Christine A Member Since: May 4, 2016
1 of 22

I just saw a project posted in which a client very carefully, and in great detail, describes two illustrations that they need and "invites" bidders to submit their ideas before being selected. The client then goes on to state that they are not "demanding" free work, simply "suggesting" it. In my opinion, this is pretty disingenuous and will obviously involve multiple freelancers spending hours of their time creating these illustrations for free. Should clients be allowed to skirt the rules like this, even though they're not technically violating the TOS?

Ace Contributor
Lexidh S Member Since: Mar 21, 2018
2 of 22

In a perfect world, no freelancer would spend the time for free. 

I'd report, and let someone that could do something about it decide.

Community Leader
Abinadab A Member Since: Sep 26, 2016
3 of 22

If the "ideas" they are asking for are designs, then it is free work.

Even though they were not specifically asking for it, they have made it clear that freelancers who violate the TOS and do free work will be at an advantage.

Something like, if you can do three mock-ups and send, it would be great.

It IS "flaggable".

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
4 of 22

Abinadab A wrote:

, they have made it clear that freelancers who violate the TOS and do free work will be at an advantage.

And once again: Freelancers who do free samples or offer to do so do NOT violate the TOS.

Clients who ask for it do (although Upwork recruiters STILL do for Enterprise clients but that is a different kettle of fish)

Community Leader
Abinadab A Member Since: Sep 26, 2016
5 of 22

Petra R wrote:

And once again: Freelancers who do free samples or offer to do so do NOT violate the TOS.

Clients who ask for it do (although Upwork recruiters STILL do for Enterprise clients but that is a different kettle of fish)

Dear Petra R., 

Can you please confirm that jumping through hoops and going through contortions to help a client to violate the Upwork ToS, is NOT a violation of the ToS?

Community Guru
6 of 22

Abinadab A wrote:

Dear Petra R., 

Can you please confirm that jumping through hoops and going through contortions to help a client to violate the Upwork ToS, is NOT a violation of the ToS?

Show me the term it violates?

Upwork have confirmed repeatedly that it is NOT a violation, so it would be real nice if you could stop repeatedly claiming that it is.

Thanks ever so muchly.

Community Guru
12 of 22

Abinadab A wrote:

Petra R wrote:

Abinadab A wrote:

Dear Petra R., 

Upwork have confirmed repeatedly that it is NOT a violation, so it would be real nice if you could stop repeatedly claiming that it is.

Thanks ever so muchly.

Show me where Upwork repeatedly confirmed that.

Then I'll show you the term it violates, since you can't see it by yourself.

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

It does not violate the terms of service to do free samples. **Edited for Community Guidelines**

Community Guru
12 of 22

Abinadab A wrote:

Petra R wrote:

Abinadab A wrote:

Dear Petra R., 

Thanks ever so muchly.

Show me where Upwork repeatedly confirmed that.

Then I'll show you the term it violates, since you can't see it by yourself.

Petra is right, it's not a violation to offer free work. But it ought to be.

Community Guru
12 of 22

Christine A wrote:

I actually disagree. There are (rare) occasions where it makes sense.

I am against freelancers being hindered in what they do any more than necessary. It should be up to professionals how they choose to run their business.

Rules like that are in place to protect those at the bottom of the foodchain, which is, to a degree, admirable, but I can't for the life of me see why it needs to be regulated.

Some people will use that freedom intelligently, others will learn the hard way not to offer free work.

Ultimately it is a win-win situation.

Community Guru
12 of 22

Petra R wrote:

Christine A wrote:

I actually disagree. There are (rare) occasions where it makes sense.

I am against freelancers being hindered in what they do any more than necessary. It should be up to professionals how they choose to run their business.

Rules like that are in place to protect those at the bottom of the foodchain, which is, to a degree, admirable, but I can't for the life of me see why it needs to be regulated.

Some people will use that freedom intelligently, others will learn the hard way not to offer free work.

Ultimately it is a win-win situation.

I have done mock-ups for clients outside of Upwork in cases where I've had to put together a pitch for a project worth thousands of pounds, but I still think it's a mistake to tolerate the practice here, where people are providing their free work to anonymous clients (many of whom are obvious scammers).

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS