🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Reporting a Scam that doesn't exist
Page options
kathyle77
Community Member

Reporting a Scam that doesn't exist

How do I report a user that sent me an email saying that they want to interview me, but when I click the email to try and redirect me to respond to their message in Upwork, the message doesn't exist? I know that Upwork typically tells you to flag their post if you see suspicious activity, but I never sent a proposal for this post in the first place so I'm not quite sure how to find this post if it even exists to flag it. Is there any other way I can report them?
There were so many red flags when trying to contact me: First, the fact that their message wouldn't show up when i tried to click the email to redirect to Upwork messages and also the fact that I had to add this person on Google Hangout to be interviewed. They also said they couldn't do a phone call due to "reasons stated later". Also, they offered a pay rate that I know I never asked for, and I know that payment outside of Upwork is a sure violation.

2 REPLIES 2
a_lipsey
Community Member

Katherine L wrote:

How do I report a user that sent me an email saying that they want to interview me, but when I click the email to try and redirect me to respond to their message in Upwork, the message doesn't exist? I know that Upwork typically tells you to flag their post if you see suspicious activity, but I never sent a proposal for this post in the first place so I'm not quite sure how to find this post if it even exists to flag it. Is there any other way I can report them?
There were so many red flags when trying to contact me: First, the fact that their message wouldn't show up when i tried to click the email to redirect to Upwork messages and also the fact that I had to add this person on Google Hangout to be interviewed. They also said they couldn't do a phone call due to "reasons stated later". Also, they offered a pay rate that I know I never asked for, and I know that payment outside of Upwork is a sure violation.

It could be someone already reported them and they were already removed from the platform. 

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Katherine,

Thanks for flagging this for us. I've checked and it looks like the action has been taken on the client account due to violations of Upwork's TOS.  

Please check this help article for more information on how to use the flag option found on each job post or message to report any suspicious or inappropriate content. Also, check out this post for more tips on how to avoid questionable jobs.

~ Bojan
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths