🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Reporting a Scam
Page options
lisa_sikala
Community Member

Reporting a Scam

There's a posting for Data Mining & Management - "Extraction of data" where the hiring manager invited me to submit proposal.  They are nothing but a scam - they conducted an interview on Hangouts where they asked for personal information including bank and credit card. They claim to be working for Mark Technologies but   they sent a paper check for $1450 to my email with a different school name and insisted that I deposit it through mobile app and keep $100 as sign on bonus.  The money was for "setting up home office and buying time tracker".

Please be aware of these scams.

Lisa

3 REPLIES 3
prestonhunter
Community Member

Google Hangouts invite = scam

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Lisa,

Thanks for flagging this job to us. I was able to locate the job you're referring to. It has already been taken down because it was in violation of Upwork ToS and action has been taken on the client account. 

Please, check this help article for more information on how to use the flag option found on each job post or message to report any suspicious or inappropriate content. Also, check out this post for more tips on how to avoid questionable jobs.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork

Accepting a check, bogus or not, is against the TOS which states that all payments MUST go through Upwork.  Please be more cautious in the future in order to avoid being permanently banned.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members