🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Reporting a Spam Client
Page options
cedre-elise
Community Member

Reporting a Spam Client

Hey everyone, 

I'm new to Upwork and this is one of my first clients so far. I was severely disappointed when I received this message: 

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Does anyone know if you can get your connects back from applying for these scams? It sucks that I applied for it and it wasn't legitimate. If not, does anyone know how to point these things out in the job description so that this doesn't happen again? Here is the link for this particular one: 

**Edited for Community Guidelines**
10 REPLIES 10
g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Elise,

Thank you for reporting this, our team will investigate it further and take proper actions. Check out this Post for more tips on how to avoid questionable jobs.

Connects are refunded only when a client closes their job without hiring, or we find a job post has violated our Terms of Service. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Hi, it is already the second time that I waste connections (6-4) for a customer who does not clearly say on his post that he will ask for a free trial. I would not have applied. report it, but nothing ever happens.

Earlier this week I spotted a post asking for a free trial.  I flagged it.  Upwork customer service sent me an email that the post was removed.  Problem solved.  

That's all you have to do.  Flag it and enter your reason.  

Hi Robin thanks,  

I flag it. but this is not the problem, I have see these posts, however I am not a police officer and therefore I go over . those of whom I speak, do not declare it in their posts, when they ask you to work for free, say no does not make you feel better, since i have spent connect. they are still there and do what they want

Simona C wrote:

Hi Robin thanks,  

I flag it. but this is not the problem, I have see these posts, however I am not a police officer and therefore I go over . those of whom I speak, do not declare it in their posts, when they ask you to work for free, say no does not make you feel better, since i have spent connect. they are still there and do what they want

It helps the community and newer freelancers if you see something, do something.  Flag it and move on.  It takes about 10 seconds.  

If you speak to someone and they ask you to work for free, flag it again.  Upwork will look into the matter and if the client is in violation, you will get your connects back. 

I thought of helping my colleagues by pointing out underhanded customers. maybe you and I don't have the same weight. or maybe it's the customers that are different.Smiley Very Happy

Simona C wrote:

I thought of helping my colleagues by pointing out underhanded customers. maybe you and I don't have the same weight. or maybe it's the customers that are different.Smiley Very Happy

As your colleagues have no idea who these underhand customers are, it is actually not that much help. It would help them much more if you flagged the job so that Upwork can remove a client who is violating the ToS. If you don't flag it, then Upwork can't look into it and you won't get your connects back. 

As you are new I would suggest you read these help pages, particularly "tips to avoid questionable jobs". https://community.upwork.com/t5/New-to-Upwork/Getting-Started-on-Upwork/m-p/264214#M2460

hello Nichola, thanks for your help. maybe I didn't explain myself. I have reported these customers, but again, nothing has been done. I have never received e-mails or anything else. let alone those customers have been removed.
I have already read, thank you, I am not easy to cheat.Smiley LOL

Simona C wrote:

hello Nichola, thanks for your help. maybe I didn't explain myself. I have reported these customers, but again, nothing has been done. I have never received e-mails or anything else. let alone those customers have been removed.
I have already read, thank you, I am not easy to cheat.Smiley LOL

If you check your connects history, you will probably find that some of your connects have been returned, that is, if Upwork decided that the client you flagged was violating the ToS. 

no, no refund.
new, or relatively new to upwork, does not mean naive. there are rules and unwritten rules. Everywhere.

But, no problem, it was just to report it here too. if I was wrong and you were right, who of duty would have intervened. good evening.Smiley Very Happy

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members