🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Reporting a client/scam after job post remove...
Page options
cef9d234
Community Member

Reporting a client/scam after job post removed

I received a response from a client who wanted to set up a meeting via phone before moving forward. I provided the info, however, something told me this could be a scam after I reread her response to me.  I tried to go back to the job posting, but she took it down. This happened to me before when I tried to report another potential client. 

Is there a way to report someone when they take a job posting down? I am fairly new to this. I am trying to avoid having to go directly to support like I had to do the last time.  I kept all my documentation and proposal etc and I have her name and picture as well. 

In the meantime, if you see a posting about general virtual admin work and you receive a response from **edited for Community Guidelines**, please report her and the job before she removes the posting.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Gumuruh Samudra S wrote:

most of the time they're doing some try & test over the job's board... i mean on that page.
Once many applicants are coming, and they saw a perfect candidate. They have the ability to close the project, even just for hit & run. 

I saw many of the clients similar to this behaviour.
sad to say but yes. they're exist.

Yes, clients can close a project, but scammers don't - they want to get as many victims as possible. If a project like that is closed, it's because another freelancer recognised that they were dealing with a scammer, reported it, and Upwork closed the job. Scammers will always ask for your contact information so that they can continue to scam you away from Upwork; they know that their jobs will be taken down fairly quickly. That's why you're not allowed to discuss projects off of Upwork before you have a contract here. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
feed_my_eyes
Community Member

If Upwork has taken the job down, it's because somebody already reported it - scammers never delete their own jobs. You don't need to do anything else.

Btw, the client's name is not what you say, and you don't really have her picture - do you think that a scammer is going to give you any real information that would allow them to be traced? They just use  names and photos that they find on the Internet, and you would only be accusing an innocent person.

It was also a terms of service violation for you to give your contact info to this person before being officially hired. It's very difficult for anyone to scam you if you follow the rules yourself.

a7a2d9d9
Community Member

most of the time they're doing some try & test over the job's board... i mean on that page.
Once many applicants are coming, and they saw a perfect candidate. They have the ability to close the project, even just for hit & run. 

Gumuruh Samudra S wrote:

Yes, clients can close a project, but scammers don't - they want to get as many victims as possible. If a project like that is closed, it's because another freelancer recognised that they were dealing with a scammer, reported it, and Upwork closed the job. Scammers will always ask for your contact information so that they can continue to scam you away from Upwork; they know that their jobs will be taken down fairly quickly. That's why you're not allowed to discuss projects off of Upwork before you have a contract here. 

cef9d234
Community Member

Thank you so much for the information.  Without thinking, I had given my personal info because I once had a meeting with a client on the phone, so I assumed it would be the same. Once I realized this was a scam, it was too late. They had my contact info. I did tell her that I was no longer interested and she understood. I received a text from someone who stated she was "the boss" yesterday. I asked her to please contact me through Upwork. Of course, she danced around the subject and ignored my questions. She has been blocked on my phone and the other person has been blocked on Upwork.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members