🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Reporting a client
Page options
lindafoo
Community Member

Reporting a client

Hoping that powers that be will contact me directly as I have no way of contacting Customer Services (I've gone through all the options on the site and keep getting directed to some automated 'solution'). I'd like to; 1. report a client who is hassling me to work outside of Upwork

2. block this person from ever contacting me again.

I find it really frustrating that I'm not able to block a client because I do not have a contract with him. I also find it incredible that I'm not able to vet a prospective client in any way after I accept what looks like a legitmate invitation.

Thanks

Linda

7 REPLIES 7
petra_r
Community Member

LIN F wrote:

I find it really frustrating that I'm not able to block a client because I do not have a contract with him. I also find it incredible that I'm not able to vet a prospective client in any way after I accept what looks like a legitmate invitation.

You can block a client in messages, just click on his picture and choose "block ..."

block client.jpg

You can report the client by clicking on "flag as inappropriate" on the job post, or by clicking on Report message on the message

report message.jpg

In over 200 contracts I have never felt a need to "vet" a client beyond what is on the job posting. If the client has a verified payment method and they are behaving in a friendly, professional manner with me, that is generally all I need before I accept a contract.

I happily negotiate with clients before they have verified their payment method, but won't accept a contract until it is (verified)

It is also fine to "work" with clients outside Upwork, as long as the hire and payment goes through Upwork.

lindafoo
Community Member

Thanks Petra, I’ve tried to do that and could not get it to work-which is why I posted here. I fully understand that it’s ok to work outside of Upwork it the payment goes through Upwork, but this is not the case. After I said ‘no thanks’ I got sent subsequent messages and a Skype address.
petra_r
Community Member

LIN F wrote:
Thanks Petra, I’ve tried to do that and could not get it to work-which is why I posted here

What did you try to do? Report and block **directly from the messages** the way I showed on the screeshots?

From your original posting it sounded like you tried to submit a support request which in not necessary for stuff like this.

Just block the client, report the message(s) and move on.

petra_r
Community Member

PS ... And.... in the creation of your screenshot, I accidentally blocked one of my favourite clients who just skyped me in utter bewilderment...

facepalm.gif

lindafoo
Community Member

Oh no!! And I kept getting error messages in my reply to you and then multiple replies were sent🤦🏻‍:female_sign:
petra_r
Community Member

LIN F wrote:
Oh no!! And I kept getting error messages in my reply to you and then multiple replies were sent🤦🏻‍:female_sign:

It's one of those days on planet Upwork... 😉

lindafoo
Community Member

Thanks Petra, I’ve tried to do that and could not get it to work-which is why I posted here. I fully understand that it’s ok to work outside of Upwork if the payment goes through Upwork, but this is not the case and it was made pretty clear to me. By ‘vetting’ I mean not being able to see a bit more about a client before engaging in a conversation. As he has quite a few open jobs and is currently interviewing a handful of people, I would not have expected this behaviour.
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members