🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Reporting a freelancer
Page options
81606acf
Community Member

Reporting a freelancer

My contract has been open for about a month now. I paid $300 for a milestone and she has not responded to me in over 25 days. I need to cancel this contract and get my money back. I also need to report this freelancer so she gets banned from the website. 

**Edited for community guidelines**

4 REPLIES 4
petra_r
Community Member

Jonathan S wrote:

My contract has been open for about a month now. I paid $300 for a milestone and she has not responded to me in over 25 days. I need to cancel this contract and get my money back. 

Why did you pay her $ 300 before you had anything tangible in your hand?

The deadline to dispute a milestone is 30 days from the date you funded the last milestone, unless there are funds in Escrow at this point.

Ultimately, you get what you pay for. You need to be realistic about what you can expect for your budget. At less than $ 0.02 per word you will never, ever get a quality writer. Even her communication sounds odd and non-native. Did you not notice that?

Obviously you should not have ended up with nothing, but your budget was never going to attract any quality applicants.

wlyonsatl
Community Member

Jonathan,

I'd expect freelancer quality to have no connection to freelancer ethics; unskilled people don't necessarily have lower ethics than skilled people.

Maybe your best best is to close the project and request a full refund?

Freelancers using a fixed rate project have little defense against an unhappy client other than going to arbitration. However, arbitration costs the freelancer (and client and Upwork) $291, which is non-refundable. So, it's unlikely to be invoked for a milestone or project value that's not well above that amount.

And keep in mind that when the project is closed you'll be able to leave feedback for the freelancer that future potential clients of the freelancer can see.

If there are other considerations for you in this decision, I'm sure someone else here will let you know what they are.

Will L wrote:

Maybe your best best is to close the project and request a full refund?

Freelancers using a fixed rate project have little defense against an unhappy client other than going to arbitration.

The deadline for dispute has passed. There is no option to go to arbitration when the dispute-deadline has passed.

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

I'm sorry about your experience with this freelancer, Jonathan.

Our team will reach out to you directly to assist you with this contract and advise on further steps.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths