🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Reports overview time zone in UTC?
Page options
7f9b79df
Community Member

Reports overview time zone in UTC?

Is it expected that our reports overview (Reports > Overview) displays the timesheet date/time in UTC? As opposed to our own time zone?

It's a bit disorenting when you look at the overview on a Friday evening only to see there is time entered in the future for Saturday.

I'm not seeing anywhere on the overview that the date/time is in UTC. Nor do I see any options to change the view to my own time zone.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
petra_r
Community Member

Kindler C wrote:

Can you post a screen shot of where you can change the report view date/time zone?

You can't change it. The basic Upwork hours for days are always in UTC, just as the work weekends at midnight on Sunday UTC for everyone, regardless of which timezone we are in.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
JoanneP

Hi Kindler,

The reports will show you dates and times in UTC. You can change the timezone from your work diary. 

~ Joanne
Upwork
7f9b79df
Community Member

Joanne Marie P wrote:

Hi Kindler,

The reports will show you dates and times in UTC. You can change the timezone from your work diary. 

All of my time is entered in my time zone ("mine" in the diary).

Reports > Overview shows time entered on Saturday. But the project in the overview showing time on Saturday only has hours logged for Friday.

Can you post a screen shot of where you can change the report view date/time zone? I'm not seeing anything in the work diary.

petra_r
Community Member

Kindler C wrote:

Can you post a screen shot of where you can change the report view date/time zone?

You can't change it. The basic Upwork hours for days are always in UTC, just as the work weekends at midnight on Sunday UTC for everyone, regardless of which timezone we are in.

Hi Kindler,

I would like to clarify that if you go to your Work Diary page you should see the option to change time zone and time format. Here is a screenshot for reference. You can also find more information here

However, as Petra already shared there is no such option on the Overview page. 

~ Nikola
Upwork
7f9b79df
Community Member

Nikola S wrote:

Hi Kindler,

I would like to clarify that if you go to your Work Diary page you should see the option to change time zone and time format. Here is a screenshot for reference. You can also find more information here

However, as Petra already shared there is no such option on the Overview page. 

That's too bad. The post was never about the work diary; I only mentioned the work diary as my time is always entered in my preferred time zone. The reports overview is at the core of the question.

Really makes no sense to see a report in UTC time when all my time is entered in a different time zone. Especially as there is zero mention of the date/time in the report overview being in UTC, regardless of whether or not it is buried in your documentation somewhere.

As Upwork is a global company, I would expect Date/Time handling to be nearly flawless and present all of our date/times in our preferred time zone.

Hi Kindler,

Thank you for your message. I would like to add that we're proud to support a thriving network of global users in over 180 countries across multiple timezones. That said, we need to have one standard timezone to process billings and reports for all users on our platform. All logged hours on the Hourly contracts are processed as per the Upwork weekly billing cycle which follows UTC timezone as standard. Due to this, your timesheet will appear as per UTC timezone on the Report > Overview page. You can still log and view your logged hours in your local timezone by clicking the contract title or logged time on the Report > Overview page. Feel free to message us if you need further assistance. 

Thank you

Pradeep

Upwork

Hey Pradeep,

My question was never about suggesting Upwork change their billing timezone. 

And again, I'm not asking how to enter my timesheet in a different timezone.

Once again, this question was specifically discussing the reports overview. As Upwork is proud to support a thriving network of global users across multiple timezones, I would expect the ability to view my reports in my chosen timezone and not be forced to view them in Upwords standardized timezone.

This would literally take a few hours to program for a veteran dev... 

dab86af4
Community Member

A simple solution would be to allow users to set default time zone in their personal settings. This wouldn't affect any reporting but for anyone recording time or looking at timesheets it's an unnecessary busywork operation repeated multiple times per day. Is there any way to request it as a feature?

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members