🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Request For Your Contact Information to S...
Page options
sohaildss92
Community Member

Request For Your Contact Information to Share with the Client

A member from the Upwork's Executive Escalations Teams approached me this morning via a ticket number and asked me: 

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Though, my reply was a clear 'DENIAL' but isn't it a confidentiality breach, if not a privacy leak. My contract with this client has been ended a long ago. He gave me 1 review with some lengthy feedback mentioning that: "His real name is xyz and he is a fraud -figuratively-".

Someone else is threatening him, and he has turned all the tides against me.

I just want to know, why Upwork has asked for my permission to share my contact details with the client. 

Thanks.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

The client's behavior does strike me as odd. I can easily contact ALL of the more than 100 freelancers I have hired on Upwork simply by sending them a message in the Upwork Messages tool.

I don't need to go to Upwork Customer Support and ask for contact information.

I don't know the details of the situation, but if I imagine myself in similar circumstances, I doubt I would trust a former client who referred to me as a "fraud - figuratively."

If I was imagining a situation based on these details, I picture in my mind a sweaty nervous person who is obsessed with a freelancer he once paid a few dollars to. He nurses an obsession based on wild delusions that he conjured up in his mind. He plots revenge while pushing away all of the people in his life who care about him... his family, friends, colleagues, etc. He drinks can after can of high-fructose, high-caffeine soda while not recycling. Perfectly good aluminum, but he puts the cans into the regular trash bin, all while plotting his next move against that freelancer, Upwork as a company, and the world that done him wrong.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
sohaildss92
Community Member

Any featured contributor, the legal expert would like to shed some light on this funny request by Upwork's ESCALATION TEAM?

Are you wondering if you should consent to Upwork sharing your contract information?

If Upwork is asking me if they can share my contact information with someone who is evidently mad at me... then the answer is of course no.

If a person who is mad at me with misplaced anger actually gets my contact information through whatever means... and sends me a message, then I suppose I can respond:

"Gertrude, I am sorry to hear that you are going through a rough time right now. I hope you find the person who is causing problems for you. That person is not me, so I guess your search continues. I wish you well."

ceefaeca
Community Member

I guess Upwork is asking you before sharing the contact information which means they are adhering to privacy concerns. I cannot see the full text as it is edited for community guidelines, but what I think is that it is very reasonable for Upwork to ask you first.

If a client reaches Upwork's support team with such a request it is obvious that they won't have any solution but to ask you if you wish to get in touch with that client and explain your position. You can deny if you wish to as you have every right to do so.

I think rather than sharing "contact information" the most appropriate way should be to have a chat through Upwork messages. I feel them much more secure than any other way, but it is just a personal preference of mine. 

Thanks for your kind reply.

petra_r
Community Member

Sohail A wrote:

but isn't it a confidentiality breach, if not a privacy leak. 

How is it either? Have you read Upwork's privacy policy? At this point, Upwork are simply asking your permission.

If, in due course, the client gets mad enough to get a subpoena or court order, Upwork will hand over your details anyway.

The client's behavior does strike me as odd. I can easily contact ALL of the more than 100 freelancers I have hired on Upwork simply by sending them a message in the Upwork Messages tool.

I don't need to go to Upwork Customer Support and ask for contact information.

I don't know the details of the situation, but if I imagine myself in similar circumstances, I doubt I would trust a former client who referred to me as a "fraud - figuratively."

If I was imagining a situation based on these details, I picture in my mind a sweaty nervous person who is obsessed with a freelancer he once paid a few dollars to. He nurses an obsession based on wild delusions that he conjured up in his mind. He plots revenge while pushing away all of the people in his life who care about him... his family, friends, colleagues, etc. He drinks can after can of high-fructose, high-caffeine soda while not recycling. Perfectly good aluminum, but he puts the cans into the regular trash bin, all while plotting his next move against that freelancer, Upwork as a company, and the world that done him wrong.

haha! I love your reply... Robot Happy

Thanks, Petra for your time and information.

kochubei_valeria
Community Member

Hi Sohail,

As others have noted on this thread, per Upwork Privacy Policy, users who have entered into a contract with one another may request the contact information of the other party. When Upwork receives such request, the team will relay it to the other party. Rest assured that if the request is denied, no information will be released unless legal action is pursued and a request is submitted through our Subpoena Protocol. Feel free to refer to the support request for more information about your specific case. 

~ Valeria
Upwork

Thanks, Valeria for taking the time to the query...

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths