cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Request Payment

Highlighted
Jade S Member Since: Sep 29, 2016
1 of 23

Hello, I'm a newbie and I just finished my first contract. I have submitted my final draft on our messenger tool and I dont' know what to put on Request Payment page, under the amount field. It was pre-populated with $9.00 which I think should be my milestone payment for upwork. Do I change anything before hitting submit button?

Thanks!

Highlighted
Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
BEST ANSWER
2 of 23

Hi Jade,

I see the only Milestone on your contract is funded for a partial amount of the total amount you've agreed with your client for this job. I'm not sure about your arrangement and if your client will set an additional Milestone, so you'll need to double-check with them to ensure you get paid if you're submitting the complete product.

Please note that only funded Milestones are covered by our Payment Protection program, so you can ask the client if they would like to release the full payment for this contract via the existing Milestone, or submit only part of the work and deliver the second part once they've created and funded the second Milestone for the remaining amount.

Let us know if you need further advice. 

View solution in original post

Highlighted
3 of 23

Hello Vladimir,

Thank you for your response. My client's no longer responding and I've already provided 2 complete works. The client informed me through chat that the request for the full amount has already been approved on his/her side. However, I still can't see that I'm being paid for the job I've done for the client. It's for a fixed price contract. I think I've just been scammed. 

That was supposed to be my first contract, and I'm excited to have a record for hours worked and a decent feedback so that other Hiring party would be able to see it on my online resume. If there was a certain amount that says my milestone has been funded, would Upwork be able to give that to me? Or am I receiving nothing?

Thank you,

Jade

Highlighted
Community Guru
Kathy T Member Since: Jul 17, 2015
4 of 23

Whatever amount is in escrow, that is the amount that you'll be paid. According to Vladimir there's only partial payment and I'm assuming that's the $9 you've mentioned. So, even though, the price of the entire job was, for example, $30 if the client only funded $9 that's all Upwork can give to you. And since the client has stopped communicating with you, it looks like, you did get scammed.

Once you click on the request payment button, you'll get whatever is in escrow in, I think, 14 days.

In the future, do not start working until the the client deposits the full price into escrow, or funds the full price of any milestone no matter what they may tell or promise you. No funds, no work.

Highlighted
5 of 23

Thank you so much for your response Kathy! It's just sad that my first contract with Upwork was a scam Smiley Sad

Highlighted
Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
6 of 23

Hi Jade,

I can confirm you haven't been paid on your Fixed-Price contract and I do see you requested the release of Milestone funds yesterday. Kathy shared correct information that the Milestone funds will be released automatically to you in 14 days, unless your client approves them or requests changes in the meantime.

Please share this Help article with your client and ask them to contact Customer Support if they need assistance with issuing an additional payment on your contract.

Highlighted
7 of 23

Thank you so much for doing some extra mile for my concern. Though I think my first contract has been a scam, I'll just charge it to my experience and as much as possible try to avoid fixed price projects. Maybe I should opt hourly instead? Or as per advice, wait until my client/contractor paid the full amount first before doing anything for that person. I hope to get a new job soon. I think Upwork is a really good platform, that's why other people takes advantage.

Sincerely yours,
Jade Riazon-Sabile
Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
8 of 23

re: "as much as possible try to avoid fixed price projects."

Jade: I think fixed-price projects can be great, but you need to know how to use them. They are a MORE ADVANCED contract model. Significantly more complex than the hourly contract model.

Feel free to use them, but you would be well advised to search for the topic within the Forum and read past discussions about how to use fixed-price contracts effectively.

Here is a very simplistic summary:

- Client and freelancer agree SPECIFICALLY what will be done as part of the contract

- Client sets up a contract wih a fully-funded milestone

- Freelancer does the work.

- Freelancer submits the work.

- Client pays the freelancer by releasing the funded escrow money.

That is all.

If the client asks for something outside of the agreed-upon project description, the freelancer should say YES, she can do that as part of a separate contract, AFTER the client releases payment for the current milestone.

Then wait for the payment, and wait for the client to set up a new contract or milestone to pay for the new request.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
9 of 23

Jade,

From what I can see, I don't know that I would say you were "scammed." Or at least you were not scammed 100%.

It looks to me like you agreed to do a project for $9.00, the client funded the work for $9.00, and you did the work. Now you should submit it, and you'll get paid $9.00.

If there was some discussion at some point about "$30.00," and you end up getting paid $9.00, then maybe you could say you were scamed out of $21.00.

But I never look at fixed-price contracts that way. The only thing I ever see or pay attention to is how much was funded.

So if the client says that:

- the budget is $500,

- and she says she is going to pay me $300,

- and she says that the second part of the project will be $600,

- and she says if I do a great job and finish by Tuesday she'll pay me an extra $450, etc., etc...

...but the funded amount is $100...

Then the only thing I actually see is "do project, get paid $100."

Everything else doesn't even enter my mind. It's just background noise: blah blah blah.

Client funds a payment.

I work for that payment.

I collect that payment.

Period.

Highlighted
10 of 23

Hello Preston,

Thank you for your response. I am still navigating and absorbing everything about freelancing, including payments, since I've worked on a traditional company for nearly 10 years before deciding to switch and do freelance works instead. This is my first contract, So, from what I can see, the contractor put the agreed amount on the contract but funded the milestone $9.00. Since I am new, I thought that's how it works. We agreed on the contract price, I have submitted my full work (on my case, I've even provided a different transcribed work for the contractor for good impression and feedback since contractors here won't hire if you don't have worked hours or haven't had a single completed contracts), asked the client if he/she can check it so that I can polish any thing if he wants any changes on the format or so, contractor said it was okay, I asked for the payment, contractor said he/she has just approved it; after 2 days and still no changes. I messaged the contractor again, and another promise that the payment requested has been approved but am now on the 3rd day and still no change. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS