Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Request Payment

Highlighted
Community Guru
Oreofe J Member Since: May 8, 2015
11 of 23

Jade you might want to check out the client's work history and if it looks like the client hires often, chances are that you might still be able to reach your client and work something out. Clients who do repeat work on the platform might be sensitive about a freelancer leaving a negative review.

Unfortunately no one can guarantee you will be paid for submitted work when no milestone has been made. I did that mistake once as a newbie but got paid eventually. Since then I have politely declined requests to work when a milestone is not funded.

Moral of the story? Only work for funded milestones when it comes to fixed price jobs.

By the way you should know that when you hit the submit button it takes 14 days plus a 5 day security period before theyour funds get released. 

Highlighted
Jade S Member Since: Sep 29, 2016
12 of 23

Hello Oreofe,

Thank you, I will do just that. I'll be sure to remember that. I've already know the date of the release. But I will be extra careful before starting a new job in case I will be getting another fixed price contract.

Highlighted
Sonia A Member Since: Nov 9, 2016
13 of 23

Hello!

I am a new freelancer on upwork. I have just done my first job for a fixed price but I have no money on my milestone so I can't request the payment. Why is that? I have been communicating with my client through upwork and email so I have proof that I have worked for them and sent the job. I have no received any payment? What should I do? Please, help! Can they just no pay me??

Kindest regards

Sonia

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
14 of 23

Hi Sonia,

Please, make sure there is a contract under My Jobs tab with a funded milestone if it's fixed-price before you submit work to the client. The client can only pay you if there is a contract.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Jade S Member Since: Sep 29, 2016
15 of 23

Oh yes, I followed through the work we both agreed, even doing the extra mile for a good impression from my first client and a good feedback which will be very good for my profile. And of course, for me, as a first timer on freelancing job, I would like to gauge both the platform and the possible clients I might encounter including the current one.

I also keep track of the messages or conversations I had with this contractor, where he/she promises to release the payment due for the work I've done. I've submitted 2 transcription jobs for him instead of one. After the first work I've submitted my contractor said that he just approved the agreed payment, and the first I checked was the tab for payment, because I need to check if that will reflect on the system right up. Then, that's where I noticed that there wasn't any changes at all, and it's almost 3days since I requested for the payment. The only reason I'm pushing this, though I think he/she doesn't plan to pay me anymore, is to know that the system works because I will be doing this for a long time and I'm taking this very seriously because I can see a very good potential here in Upwork.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
16 of 23

When you requested payment, why did you not request the full agreed amount?

Say the agreed amount was $ 30 and the client funded $ 9 and you delivered $ 30 worth of work, why didn't you change the "requested amount" to $ 30?

It is too late now, but you totally could and should have done so.

In that case, once the client approved it, you would have got $ 30 - $ 9 from Escrow (the funded amount) and $ 21 would have been charged to the client's payment method.

Highlighted
Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
17 of 23

Hi Jade,

You don't need to avoid Fixed-Price jobs. I don't have an insight into your communication with the client, but you followed the proper procedure on this contract until the point when you delivered the complete product for a Milestone which wasn't fully funded. You should have delivered part of the tasks you completed and start working on/provide remaining work once your client creates and funds the second Milestone for the remaining amount.

Please read more about working and getting paid on Fixed-Price contracts in this Help article.

Highlighted
Bahaa K Member Since: May 14, 2018
18 of 23

Vladimir G Thank you for all your all your aswers . 
Does 
"unless your client approves them or requests changes in the meantime." 
include that the client told me "Good work , I'll give you the comments tomorow , and the wend unresponsive for 12 days " ?

Highlighted
Bojan S Moderator Member Since: Mar 9, 2018
19 of 23

Hi Bahaa,

If the client has simply stopped responding but the milestone was funded in escrow, then the client has a period of 14 days (2 more days in this case) from the most recent work submission on a milestone to review and request any changes, after which the funds will automatically be released from escrow to you.

~ Bojan
Untitled
Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Edward G Member Since: Sep 22, 2014
20 of 23

Hi, Jade.  Fixed price contracts are really basic and if you're good at your job you can avoid them.  A lot of Upwork amateurs start off with them and then graduate to hourly.  With hourly contracts, you can estimate the time required to complete the project and use that as a goal for you and your client.

If there's requirement creep where your client wants additional tasks done, you can give a new estimate and agree to do the work.  When your hours are recorded in the Upwork Time Tracker, you have assurance of being paid.  And make sure that all communications with your clients are recorded in Upwork Messenger whenever possible.  Messenger is your best friend if a dispute arises.

Ed

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS