Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Request for Freelancer Feedback on My Profile

Chris P Member Since: Aug 17, 2017
1 of 24

Hey all, 

Hope you're all doing well.  

I'm sure that everyone feels this way from time to time but I'm having a really hard time getting responses to my proposals.  I'd be very grateful for any (constructive) comments on my profile.

I'm hoping that there's something glaringly obvious that I'm just not seeing.  Perhaps I'm too close to it. 

My Job Success Score is at 100% and my last few clients have left glowing feedback.  While I'm far from the most talented contractor in my field (Architectural Visualizaion) I'm also far from the worst.

I've attached the info PDF I usually attach to proposals and the text of a fairly representitieve proposal to a client is below.

Any feedback or advice would be most welcome.

~C

_Hi, I'd love to help. I'm an independent freelancer specializing in architectural visualization. That's fancy industry talk for, "I make 3d models of my clients' designs, apply texture and lighting and render them". There's a lot more to it than that, but there it is in brief.

I can see that you're new to the platform, so you're going to be bombarded with proposals and information shortly. I'm going to keep this short and sharp. If you want to know more, you can set up a voice call and I'd be happy to walk you through the process*. *Really, even if you just want to know how the platform works. I've worked with so many clients who've had an awful first experience or been burned by unscrupulous contractors.

As for me, I've been working in the field for about eight years. I'm what's known as a generalist. I personally see to every aspect of the process from start to finish. I'm on call throughout the project and work is tracked through Upwork's desktop app (which is excellent and sends regular screenshots of my screen to the workroom so you can keep track of what's going on).

I've found that newer clients value reliability above anything else. On that score, I'd refer you to my other clients' testimonials on my profile page here: https://www.upwork.com/freelancers/~01b8bcdf89cccfaccc?viewMode=1 From there, a quick look at the examples attached (and more on my profile) will give you some idea of what to expect. I'd suggest reviewing a few more proposals but (and I'm aware that this may sound a bit self-serving) don't leave it too long. Experienced contractors get a bit wary of clients who've received 20+ proposals and still haven't made a decision. I apologize if I'm telling you things you already know.

Some clients prefer brevity but there's a lot of uncertainty inherent with online hiring and I prefer to keep my clients in the loop.

If you'd like to get started (or if you'd just like more information), give me a quick call. No obligation. Regards,

~Chris P._

Community Guru
Antun M Member Since: Jan 27, 2018
2 of 24

I have NOT read your proposal template.
It's too long.

Clients have 20+ of these to go through.

Why would they read it?

3 of 24

First, that's not a template.  If you'd read that, you'd know that.

Second,  I don't have a proposal template.  Every project that comes up gets a proposal tailored to it.  If I were posting a job I wouldn't want to hire a contractor who can't be bothered to put in more effort than some boilerplate template.

Third, a client who's considering spending money to have work done might be incentivized to pay a bit more attention than glancing at a proposal and deciding "TLDR"

Thanks for your feedback all the same.  Perhaps I'll consider being more brief.

Community Guru
Antun M Member Since: Jan 27, 2018
4 of 24

Chris P wrote:

First, that's not a template.  If you'd read that, you'd know that.

Second,  I don't have a proposal template.  Every project that comes up gets a proposal tailored to it.  If I were posting a job I wouldn't want to hire a contractor who can't be bothered to put in more effort than some boilerplate template.

Third, a client who's considering spending money to have work done might be incentivized to pay a bit more attention than glancing at a proposal and deciding "TLDR"

Thanks for your feedback all the same.  Perhaps I'll consider being more brief.

You are applying for a project, not a job.
Clients are looking for a person to do 'a thing', not for an employee.

Makes sense to be personal, detailed and showcase all of your skills. When applying for a day job.
Employer pays a lot of attention to CV's.

Clients don't have to. They get lots and lots of us (freelancers), many of which are very capable of doing a task client needs to be done.

5 of 24

Thanks for your reply Antun

To my mind: I do work, it's a job.  It's also the terminology used on this site.  "Job Success Score" makes me think people could use the terms _job_ and _project_ interchangably without too much confusion.

I see your point though.  I realize that clients may have a lot of proposals to go through but I still feel like, if it were me, I'd want to know as much as I can about a contractor and the processes involved before I commit to hiring them.

My challenge seems to be in tyring to figure out which information is of value to potiential clients and which is not

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
6 of 24

Chris P wrote:

I realize that clients may have a lot of proposals to go through but I still feel like, if it were me, I'd want to know as much as I can about a contractor and the processes involved before I commit to hiring them.

That is what the interview process is there for, not the proposal. The proposal is there to tempt the client to look at the freelancer's profile and the profile should entice them to start communicating with the freelancer.

Your proposal wants cutting down drastically, it is long and rambling.

It wants to be no more than a third of what it is now.

7 of 24

Thank you Petra, 

Good note.  This seems to be the consensus

Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
8 of 24

Chris P wrote:

Thanks for your reply Antun

To my mind: I do work, it's a job.  It's also the terminology used on this site.  "Job Success Score" makes me think people could use the terms _job_ and _project_ interchangably without too much confusion.

I see your point though.  I realize that clients may have a lot of proposals to go through but I still feel like, if it were me, I'd want to know as much as I can about a contractor and the processes involved before I commit to hiring them.

My challenge seems to be in tyring to figure out which information is of value to potiential clients and which is not

Why do you ask for advice? You believe none of it.

9 of 24

Actually, I took on board Antun's point about the length of my proposal. 

I took issue with his quibbling about semantics "Job vs Project".  This was off-point and not useful.

thank you for your input

Community Guru
Mark F Member Since: Jul 10, 2018
10 of 24
You asked for feedback didn’t you? Are we only allowed to give you feedback that you like?
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS