Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Request for Freelancer Feedback on My Profile

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Chris P Member Since: Aug 17, 2017
21 of 24

Thanks again for sharing your thoughts Hugo, 

Glad to know that I'm not completely off the mark.  I remain convinced that it's best to consider how best to approach each and every client.

But it's equally clear that I need to drastically reduce the length.  My thanks to everyone taking the time to post useful advice.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Martina P Member Since: Jul 11, 2018
22 of 24

Much too long, as others have stated. 

Plus you are not doing yourself a favor recounting the negative experience of other clients, you want your client to get a warm and fuzzy feeling, not being scared of the perils of upwork. 

Recently I applied to a proofreading job, and the text was so bad that I told the client the text is painful to read and I offered my lowest possible rate just so that he does not spring this text on unsuspecting German customers, who don't like to be assaulted with catastrophically bad German. I knew of course I would  not get that job, because I basically told the guy he made a bad decision by hiring the translator he hired, or really does not know how to use google translate, but I needed to tell him how bad the text was. Was still worth it.  

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
23 of 24

Martina P wrote:

Recently I applied to a proofreading job, and the text was so bad

It wasn't the 20k esoteric kiddy story, was it?

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Chris P Member Since: Aug 17, 2017
24 of 24

Thanks Martina, 

Good points.  Many people agree that brevity is important (especially in initial proposals)

Your point in not drawing attention to other clients' negative experiences also has a lot of merit.  Duly noted.

Also, I applaud your honesty with your problem client even though it practically ensured that you would not be considered for the job.

Your candor would have helped them realize what they were doing wrong, at your own expense.  This attitude elevates the experience of everyone using this platform and I wish we had 100 more like you

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS