cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Request for proposals

Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
1 of 4

I think there must be something in the RFP process that makes potential clients write this sort of request:

"Editor for my book"

That's it. the buyer does not specify what the book is about whether it is fiction or non-fiction, what the word count is - nothing. It is extremely irritating, especially if one has to spend two connects to find out  Then invariably one has to answer these sorts of questions:

1. Which of the required job skills do you feel you are strongest at?
  2. Why did you apply to this particular job?

Surely if one is an editor questions one and two are self-evident? The other question with this kind of non RFP is "What suggestions do you have to improve this project" - unanswerable unless one wants to be impolite!

Community Leader
John T Member Since: Mar 19, 2015
2 of 4

I just treat postings like that as a red flag; a client who is that lazy and undetailed is almost certainly going to be terrible to work for.

Community Guru
Jean S Member Since: Oct 22, 2007
3 of 4

I too get bumbed out by these jobs, especially if it a client with a good rating and verified. But like you say, not enough info to waste two connects on so now I just move on.

Community Guru
Ronald T Member Since: Sep 14, 2009
4 of 4

The problem is that it is not an RFP (Request for Proposal) process. It is a job posting and bidding process.

Rather than the optional questions that were added to the bidding process, oDesk should have adopted a proposal process complete with help articles, forms, and examples (effective RFP templates with fields prompting for needed information). Competitive freelance site G*** uses a similar approach.

I suspect that most clients and freelancers (and possibly oDesk employees and contractors) on this platform are not familiar with basic processes for conducting business whether domestically here in the US or on an international basis; processes that often involve RFPs, SOWs, formal proposals, and other industry standard practices. Also, I believe there are big difference between the terms "freelancers" vs. "independent contractors."

I doubt I even new what a "freelancer" was before joining this site and others. Actually, I had always associated the term "freelancer" with freelance writers; not the broad spectrum of independent contractors participating on these so-called freelancer sites.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS