Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Request of Personal Information During Hiring Process

carlosalb
Carlos T Member Since: Dec 6, 2015
1 of 15

Hello guys,

I'd like to have the community advice on this situation to help me make a decision. I applied for customer service position, an hourly contract, a few days ago and after several screening tests and interviews with the client - their head of HR and a lead supervisor - I was informed today that I got hired. The head of HR sent me an email introducing herself and the company's policies and also requesting personal information they say they need as part of their hiring process, like the following:

- Copy of your valid ID
- Photos of your work area (please include your chair in the shot)
- Picture of google maps showing where your house is
- Photo showing your face clearly (we will use this for the company director

I understand each client has their own requirements, however, during my tenure on Upwork and working with 8-9 different clients (high profile startups and established companies), I've NEVER been requested all this information (I think just a picture of my work area once), and frankly, I find it a little bit invasive and don't feel comfortable sharing it. Maybe for an onsite employee, but not for an Upwork freelancer. Based on the client job history on Upwork and reviews (5 stars and 4.98) I know they're legit, but is it really necessary to provide all this information? They also asked me to fill a form with all kinds of questions like civil status, mobile and home number, emergency contact person, etc. 

I will appreciate your thoughts on this matter.

Thank you.

Regards,

Carlos

mtngigi
Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
2 of 15

Run, run away.

hfspeegle
Community Guru
Heath S Member Since: Mar 16, 2016
3 of 15

Hi Carlos,

Based on their feedback and the info they're asking for (not SSN, bank account #, etc.), I agree with you that it's probably not a scam. However, I also agree that what they're asking for is very invasive. The only advice I can give you is to tell you what I would do. Unless this job was worth tens of thousands of $, I would go with my gut feeling and decline. It seems like they're putting you through their employee onboarding process and that they don't understand the difference between a freelancer and an employee.

I once had a client ask for a photo of my passport. My passport is long expired, but I would have declined anyway. They settled for a photo of my driver's license just showing the issue and expiration dates and my photo, not the number, my address, etc.

This may be an option for you - checking to see if they'll accept less infomation. If not, and if the job is not EXTREMELY lucrative, I would decline. The risk versus reward is just not favorable, in my opinion.

aocumen
Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
4 of 15

Hi Carlos, 

These are very unusual requests and I would recommend not meeting them. Please flag this job post as inappropriate, or report it directly to our Customer Support team so that it can be reviewed and actions can be taken against the job post and the client's account. 

~ Avery
Upwork
carlosalb
Carlos T Member Since: Dec 6, 2015
5 of 15

Thank you all for your input. I've made my decision and won't be working with them, although they are a legit company and expressed their interest in working with me.

I had a conversation with their head of HR via Skype who answered a lot of concerns. As Heath mentioned, all this information they're requesting is part of their recruitment process for new hires and had to make them understand that my interest is to work with them as an independent contractor and not as an employee. It looks like they use Upwork to find candidates for their positions and put them through a trial period and a few screening tests, and if the freelancer is a fit, they offer to hire as an employee and move forward with their onboarding process if the freelancer accepts.

jcullinan
Community Guru
Jess C Member Since: Feb 18, 2015
6 of 15

Edited because this post was automatically filtered so my second post is a repeat.

jcullinan
Community Guru
Jess C Member Since: Feb 18, 2015
7 of 15

I responded to this yesterday, but my post was deleted for no apparent reason...

@Carlos T wrote:

Thank you all for your input. I've made my decision and won't be working with them, although they are a legit company and expressed their interest in working with me.

I had a conversation with their head of HR via Skype who answered a lot of concerns. As Heath mentioned, all this information they're requesting is part of their recruitment process for new hires and had to make them understand that my interest is to work with them as an independent contractor and not as an employee. It looks like they use Upwork to find candidates for their positions and put them through a trial period and a few screening tests, and if the freelancer is a fit, they offer to hire as an employee and move forward with their onboarding process if the freelancer accepts.

It's a good thing you declined, because this method of farming for employees rather than freelancers is expressly against Upwork's Terms of Service. Accepting that proposal would get your Upwork account banned.

If a client wants to hire you as an employee, or outside of the platform in any way before they have worked with you for two full years, they must pay the "Opt Out Fee" described in the "Non-circumvention" portion of the ToS. I won't post the link as I suspect that's how my earlier post was filtered out, but it amounts to a minimum of $2500 plus interest.

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
8 of 15

Jess, we've restored your post and it's now showing on this thread.

Sorry about the confusion.

~ Valeria
Upwork
m_njari
Community Guru
MERCY N Member Since: May 6, 2015
9 of 15

Carlos T: [T]hey offer to hire as an employee...

And include you in their medical scheme? Offer you life insurance and such other benefits? I doubt it. They may tell you that to get you to disclose the information they are asking for, but if you can keep disclosure of personal info' to a minimum, I'd say it's the best way to go. 

'I was informed today that I got hired'.... This is what you said in your original post. 

You've hired me? Is there a contract? Send me the work - I do not anticipate further negotiations AFTER I've been hired. The normal manner of doing things is for the client to disclose conditions before accepting to hire you. And you surely want to work with a client who does things normally - saves you anxiety. 

I recently had a client who had explicitly said the contractor should be prepared to sign an NDA - fine. However, after interviewing me and finding me a good fit for the job, he asked me to send him a copy of my national ID (copies of both sides). I politely declined and said I was only prepared to sign the NDA. His explanation was that it was his partner who normally insisted...

Now now now -  what happens behind the scenes, to me, are extraneous details. I said thanks for considering me and volunteered to pass on the job.

The following day he returned asking if I wanted to take up the job, and I said yes, if all I was required to do was sign an NDA. The job went well, but there's always something at the back of the mind; like the possibility of having left the client with a bitter taste in the mouth, which could make him leave you negative private feedback...

Based on the client job history on Upwork and reviews (5 stars and 4.98) I know they're legit...

Yes, history - both client's history and contractor's history - is very important in showing you the kind of person you are dealing with. BUT, do not put your guard down - ever. It is when you become too complacent that the sleekiest scammer ensnares you. My most disappointing experience with a client on Upwork was with one who had a long history, and who had spent more than $20,000 on hiring. Gladly, there were good people at Upwork who took time to look at the issue without being blinded by the size of the client's pocket, and I wasn't exactly scorched (financially). Of course, the client's feedback was the worst imaginable, but even that I was able to get rid of recently, courtesy of the perks given by virtue of being top rated. 

Anyway, glad you turned down the job offer.

m_njari
Community Guru
MERCY N Member Since: May 6, 2015
10 of 15

Carlos T: [T]hey offer to hire as an employee...

And include you in their medical scheme? Offer you life insurance and such other benefits? I doubt it. They may tell you that to get you to disclose the information they are asking for, but if you can keep disclosure of personal info' to a minimum, I'd say it's the best way to go.

'I was informed today that I got hired'.... This is what you said in your original post.

You've hired me? Is there a contract? Send me the work - I do not anticipate further negotiations AFTER I've been hired. The normal manner of doing things is for the client to disclose conditions before accepting to hire you. And you surely want to work with a client who does things normally - saves you anxiety.

I recently had a client who had explicitly said the contractor should be prepared to sign an NDA - fine. However, after interviewing me and finding me a good fit for the job, he asked me to send him a copy of my national ID (copies of both sides). I politely declined and said I was only prepared to sign the NDA. His explanation was that it was his partner who normally insisted...

Now now now - what happens behind the scenes, to me, are extraneous details. I said thanks for considering me and volunteered to pass on the job.

The following day he returned asking if I wanted to take up the job, and I said yes, if all I was required to do was sign an NDA. The job went well, but there's always something lingering  at the back of the mind as work goes on - Did I leave him with a bitter taste in the mouth? If so, will he take it out on me by leaving negative private feedback?

Based on the client job history on Upwork and reviews (5 stars and 4.98) I know they're legit...

Yes, history - both client's history and contractor's history - is very important in showing you the kind of person you are dealing with. BUT, do not put your guard down - ever. It is when you become too complacent that the sleekiest scammer ensnares you. My most disappointing experience with a client on Upwork was with one who had a long history, and who had spent more than $20,000 on hiring. Gladly, there were good people at Upwork who took time to look at the issue without being blinded by the size of the client's pocket, and I was sorted out. Of course, the client's feedback was the worst imaginable, but even that I was able to get rid of recently, courtesy of the perks given to top rated contractors.

Anyway, glad you turned down the job offer.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS