🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Request of "Security Fee", by the client.
Page options
crish750
Community Member

Request of "Security Fee", by the client.

I am a freelancer. I noticed that recently there are several Data entry job posts published at Upwork, from various countries. I submitted my proposals for few and without any delay they replied through Upwork message, requesting me to contact them on Telegram. When I contact, they asked my name, country and few formal questions. Then offered 4 projects and requested me to select one. After selecting, they requested me to pay a "Security Fee" / "Library card Fee" etc. ( relevant document attached ). I understand that according to the rules and regulations of Upwork, the cliant cannot request or accept any fee from the person, who accept his job. So my question is, why Upwork allow these type of job posts, to be published on Upwork? On the other way, we are just wasting our connects. Can anyone give me an answer to this, please.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
roberty1y
Community Member

If it's any consolation, you get your connects back on fake jobs like these. The "security fee" is a gullibility tax. Those foolish enough to pay it will never see it again nor hear from the "client".

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
roberty1y
Community Member

If it's any consolation, you get your connects back on fake jobs like these. The "security fee" is a gullibility tax. Those foolish enough to pay it will never see it again nor hear from the "client".

Hello, do you know how we get the connects back? It's automatic after a job offer is put down? Or do we have to request it?, I've wasted like 25% of my connects in this scams 😞 

You'll get the connects back automatically when Upwork learns that the job is a scam and removes it.

pgiambalvo
Community Member

As for your question, "Why Upwork allow these type of job posts, to be published on Upwork?" I don't have an answer but perhaps someone else does. Thanks for posting your concerns here.

Thank you.

petra_r
Community Member

Crishantha A wrote: So my question is, why Upwork allow these type of job posts, to be published on Upwork?

They don't allow them.

It is also a violation of Upwork's terms of service to communicate with any prospective client outside of Upwork. If you stop doing that, you will be perfectly safe from almost all scams and will also avoid having Upwork suspend your account for violating the terms of service.

crish750
Community Member

Thank you so much for the valuable advice.

sofia2008
Community Member

Crishantha A wrote:

I submitted my proposals for few and without any delay they replied through Upwork message, requesting me to contact them on Telegram. When I contact, they asked my name, country and few formal questions.

Contacting a client outside of Upwork before being formally hired on Upwork is a violation of the Terms of Service. Don't contact clients outside of Upwork, keep your Connects for real opportunities. UW has work to do, but freelancers have to stop attracting scammers.

Thank you very much for the valuable advice.

Thanks for this advice, they are different 3 client contact me right now to pay for security fees

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths