🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Requesting Feedback to Client, No Response, N...
Page options
gurjeetkalsi
Community Member

Requesting Feedback to Client, No Response, Now asking for source files

I guess we all freelancers have faced this situation that 'clients do not respond once the project is over and files been delivered'.

I had twice, and this time I have a client, and we were exchanging messages/feedback every 2 mins, till the design was being done [messages being exchanged via a third-party app, all transaction via Upwork only, I know the protocal].

The moment I transferred the jpg & pdf files, he stopped replying to me. I messaged him many times, to 'End the contract' and provide feedback, he texts me after 10-12 messages that he is on the job and will do it later, which clearly he didn't do it.

Now after 3-4 days, he replied to me that he saw the messages today and will do the rest of the process. I said, come online and I will guide you in the process as you are new to Upwork.

After 5 mins he asked me for source files, I said I shall collect files and upload the same, meanwhile kindly do the rest of the process. and after that, he again stopped replying to me.

What should I do? Shall I transfer the files and wait for him to complete the process or shall I get the feedback first and then transfer the files? having those files are useless for me, but if he repeats the same and does not end the contract, and I will have to do the same, that will affect my JSS, I already did End one contract last week(as that client was also not responding, now I am again in a similar situation. If I end myself, before doing 12-15 projects, that may affect my JSS, if not, then this contract may remain open till then, and when coming week JSS update, that open contract for two weeks may affect or maybe not.

please guide.

PS: It feels not good, like begging for 'Ending the Contract' to clients when all work is completed, or please upgrade this protocol that if freelancer ends the contract, that must not hit JSS at least.

7 REPLIES 7
feed_my_eyes
Community Member

gurjeet k wrote:

What should I do? Shall I transfer the files and wait for him to complete the process or shall I get the feedback first and then transfer the files? having those files are useless for me, but if he repeats the same and does not end the contract, and I will have to do the same, that will affect my JSS, I already did End one contract last week(as that client was also not responding, now I am again in a similar situation. If I end myself, before doing 12-15 projects, that may affect my JSS, if not, then this contract may remain open till then, and when coming week JSS update, that open contract for two weeks may affect or maybe not.

please guide.

PS: It feels not good, like begging for 'Ending the Contract' to clients when all work is completed, or please upgrade this protocol that if freelancer ends the contract, that must not hit JSS at least.

Stop harrassing and begging, and send your client his files immediately - it sounds like you're holding them hostage until he gives you feedback, which is extremely unprofessional. It will not affect your JSS to have a few contracts that end without feedback, and there's no rush for you to end contracts yourself, either (I have several that are open and idle, and my JSS is still 100%).

Thanks for the reply Christine, your answer cleared my doubt, files transferred now (already given jpg & pdf 4 days ago, I was waiting for his reply also, so that I can select the required version in [CDR format] that will run on his machine, without knowing it, if versions will mismatch, fils will not be working on his machine),

In fact, I do not advocate this idea. but my intentions are not at all to harass the client.

but yes, Kindly explain to me, what should we call a client, who makes fake promises and do not bother to reply once 'their' work is done? 🙂

Also, what should we call a client who backstabs by ending the contract, without any reply, then ask for refunds, and that affects our JSS for earning no dollar?... 🙂

Regards

gurjeet k wrote:

Thanks for the reply Christine, your answer cleared my doubt, files transferred now (already given jpg & pdf 4 days ago, I was waiting for his reply also, so that I can select the required version in [CDR format] that will run on his machine, without knowing it, if versions will mismatch, fils will not be working on his machine),

In fact, I do not advocate this idea. but my intentions are not at all to harass the client.

but yes, Kindly explain to me, what should we call a client, who makes fake promises and do not bother to reply once 'their' work is done? 🙂

Also, what should we call a client who backstabs by ending the contract, without any reply, then ask for refunds, and that affects our JSS for earning no dollar?... 🙂

Regards

If you are considering withholding files until the client gives you feedback, you are not honoring the process, so you might stop complaining about clients not doing so. What kind of feedback do you expect when you extort clients?

You should stop obsessing about your JSS and instead focus on providing work in a professional manner, anything else is not going to end well. You see what you are doing, right? You obsess so much over JSS that you make huge mistakes in how you perform your work which in turn will tank your JSS. I suggest you rethink your approach. 

Martina, thanks for the reply.

I want to clear one point that is, I respect all community members, and they have provided me great insights always, I am grateful to all, who are providing guidance to many, not just me since Upwork does not have a direct support system, so community thread is the only way we can seek guidance, and if you read my first post calmly, you shall understand what I was looking for.

surely, I was looking for advice/guidance, not a judgment which was given to me as 'I was harassing a client', not at all ( i was made a fake promise by the client and I wanted to have guidance), from the last 2 days I was not even chasing this client. but today he came to me out of blue moon, he was ready to perform the final task, which he still did not complete after delivering the files as well. (of that I was sure about his actions of not performing the final formalities and I was seeking guidance)

I know lots of community members are really taking their personal time to guide others and new-comers, and we all need guidance otherwise we will not be posting this openly. So I believe we must not come to a judgment, all community members must remain unbiased and focus on providing correct guidance, and not scanning the character of the person on a single post.

WE MUST HELP, NOT JUDGE, or that may make us like some 'news-channels who are biased to few politicians and keep cleaning their wrong deeds.'

The guidance can only be provided when we see a question/thread with a neutral thought process, being biased for freelancers or clients, both are not appropriate for a healthy environment of the community. I also understand there might be wrong freelancers and there might be wrong clients as well, we all have seen examples in many posts.

I have completed approx 20 or 21 jobs so far, and out of them [6 or 7 Clients paid me a bonus], I assume if 30% of my clients paid me bonus, that says a lot about my character and way of working, Nobody in this world on any platform can force to give a bonus for the job, it comes from inside. (all of them with 5 stars, let's not talk about stars here) but if the point is raised on my character that I intend to harass the client without knowing all the details, it is not appropriate. and that hurts.

I really love this community and grateful to all, but at the same time I feel, I have a right to provide the suggestion, feedback, ask questions, and seek guidance. If my intentions were wrong, I won't be posting it openly.

Yes, people get obsessed with JSS, when it hits (by clients' fault) and when that affects the ranking and earning eventually, then people may get obsessed, I was not, but few clients' actions/behavior and this protocol made me obsessed with JSS, but that does not mean I do not deliver quality work, In fact now I leave no stone unturned to provide quality work before the deadline.

Regards

gurjeet k wrote:

Regards

A client does not have to reply once the work is done, nothing to complain about here. 

gurjeet k wrote:

Sending a client "10 or 12 messages" sounds like harrassment to me. 

gurjeet k wrote:

Clients who don't pay aren't in the same category with those who don't leave feedback; that's a different situation entirely. But you said that you did get paid.

Consider this as well: Sometimes clients avoid leaving feedback because they were less than thrilled with your work, but they don't want to actively harm your reputation. If you continue to nag them, you may end up regretting it. Just let it go.

Sending a client "10 or 12 messages" sounds like harrassment to me.

- dear, at that time we were exchanging messages on every min, but after delivery of files, I was trying it, and stopped it after that, when I sensed his intentions

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members