adayacap

Requesting payment on fixed-price jobs.

Is there any way that I can bill a client after finishing a fixed-price job?
4 REPLIES 4

It's up to the client to pay you or not. You need to protect yourself, oDesk does not guarantee payment on fixed-price contracts. Do you even know if the client is happy with your work? That's the first thing I would check. For fixed contracts I like milestone payments, seems to be fair for both. [quote=-Darren- J.]Upfront payments and milestone payments are two different things. An upfront payment is something you charge before you've started work. A milestone payment is something that gets paid when something happens (after a period of time; when this bit of the project is done; whatever). I'm fine with milestone payments; as that's a way of splitting a big job into parts and so that you can ensure that you don't work for months without payment. I'm not fine with upfront payments; either as a buyer or a contractor. As a buyer; no way in hell will I pay someone before I see that they are at least vaguely qualified to do the job. As a contractor it just feels wrong.[/quote]

oDesk should charge the client before the work starts, under money back guarantee, and pay the contractor after the work is done. If they take larger provision on the fp jobs, oDesk can have more benefit than cost on this

I have submitted my work to the client but my client has now disappeared. Is their any way to leave feedback on his wall so that it should be beneficial for others to know client's repute? Even I was not able to know his repute before accepting the project.

[quote=Asif Nawaz]I have submitted my work to the client but my client has now disappeared. Is their any way to leave feedback on his wall so that it should be beneficial for others to know client's repute? Even I was not able to know his repute before accepting the project.[/quote] Well, I have the same situation too. 3 days ago after i started my client was sending messages about the job and everything, but then the next day until today, he did not message me anymore. Since I am already finish with the contract, now I am afraid that my client wont pay me after those work i done. I agree with the thing that Odesk should ask for an advance payment from the clients, an amount based on the contract upon the contract has been made for an assurance that "us" as workers, we wont be afraid that the work rendered will not be paid when we finish the contract/job.