Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Requesting payments for manual hourly work

jstarresearch
Ace Contributor
Jon S Member Since: May 24, 2016
1 of 10

How do we officially request payment for hourly work? I wrapped up some hourly work 4 days ago but I haven't seen a payment pending yet.

What is the legit way to do this in the future?

jcullinan
Community Guru
Jess C Member Since: Feb 18, 2015
2 of 10

@Jon S wrote:

How do we officially request payment for hourly work? I wrapped up some hourly work 4 days ago but I haven't seen a payment pending yet.

What is the legit way to do this in the future?

Did you track your time with the desktop app? If so, your hours are automatically submitted to your client at the end of each week. See the Weekly Billing Cycle for more info: https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211063698-Weekly-Billing-Cycle

This is another help file you should read: https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211063668-Get-Paid-for-Hourly-Contracts

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
3 of 10

If you have a contract and didn't run the time tracker, go to the work diary associated with that job and enter your time (note that you do not get payment protection for manual hours, so it is pretty much up to the client if he/she chooses to pay you).

All work weeks end on Sunday evening in the U.S., so even if you wrapped up the job on Tuesday, the hours don't go to the client for review until Sunday night. Then, the client has until Friday to review and dispute. Assuming the client doesn't dispute, the hours shift to "pending" on Friday and are available for withdrawal the following Wednesday (actually Tuesday night in the U.S.)

jstarresearch
Ace Contributor
4 of 10

Hi all, 

I entered my time manually using the Upwork work diary. Hours were submitted that way. My hours were counted and noted. However, unlike project based jobs, I didn't see any prompt for submitting work file and requesting payment. I had to attach my files to a message and send them that way. 

I think I would prefer to bill by project next time and in milestones unless there is a clear advantage to billing by the hour that helps with attracting clients.

jcullinan
Community Guru
5 of 10

@Jon S wrote:

Hi all, 

I entered my time manually using the Upwork work diary. Hours were submitted that way. My hours were counted and noted. However, unlike project based jobs, I didn't see any prompt for submitting work file and requesting payment. I had to attach my files to a message and send them that way. 

I think I would prefer to bill by project next time and in milestones unless there is a clear advantage to billing by the hour that helps with attracting clients.

Manual hours are not eligible for Payment Protection, but will be submitted to your client at the end of the week, and then follow the rest of the process as outlined on the pages I linked for you above. Logging your hours IS the request for payment.

I work only hourly because I feel both the client and I are better protected than by the escrow system, and to avoid scope creep without pay - others have the opposite experience.  It depends on the kind of work you do.

sam-sly
Community Guru
Samantha S Member Since: Jun 23, 2016
6 of 10

@Jon S wrote:

You should receive payment at the end of the review period assuming the client doesn't dispute the hours.  I have logged manual time and never had a client dispute. However, if the client does dispute manual hours, they are not protected.

The benefits of hourly contracts really kick in if you use the time tracking app and work in a way that qualifies for the payment protection. In that case, it seems the safest way to work on Upwork since clients pay for the time you spend and the actual payment protection is more robust than it is for fixed-rate contracts. (I usually do fixed-rate work though, but there are  upsides to hourly contracts on Upwork).  Scope creep is a big problem here, but I find excessive scope creep is remarkably rare with hourly contracts.

If you have a dispute... With hourly contracts, the client can dispute whether you worked on his/her project or not since they are paying for the time. With fixed-rate, they can dispute the quality of the work since they pay for the deliverable. I've not had any disputes (touching wood), so that may be oversimplifying it. Both types of contracts have their pros and cons. I suppose it really just depends on what you and the client prefer for that project.

gilbert-phyllis
Community Guru
Phyllis G Member Since: Sep 8, 2016
7 of 10

@Jon S wrote:

Hi all, 

I do both, depending on the project. The time tracker is useless for the kind of work I do, so I am careful about vetting clients and clarifying everything up front, so we start from a point of mutual trust. I have clients who are fine with conceptualizing a project in milestones but want to pay weekly by credit card because it saves red tape at their end. They don't care how many hours I bill from week to week, as long as the project as a whole comes in on budget. So I just meter it to align more or less with how I'd be charging for milestones, so if they encounter questions at their end, our progress and deliverables are in line with what they've spent. And not for nothing, but those are also clients who never quibble or nickel-and-dime me when a project morphs and scope creep threatens. We pause and re-group, figure out the best Plan B, adjust budget and schedule, and keep going. I really adore them.

I've had two problem projects so far, insofar as unhappy clients who closed contracts prior to completion. Each instance was a teachable moment for me and luckily, I didn't pay too dearly in money or feedback. One was hourly and one was fixed-rate. So there are no guarantees in any direction.

jstarresearch
Ace Contributor
8 of 10

I reveiwed my "pending payments" and it shows that it is in review. My next question though is what happened to make receiving payments so slow now? 

How long is the pending review period?

How much time does it take after that to receive a direct deposit?

jcullinan
Community Guru
9 of 10

@Jon S wrote:

I reveiwed my "pending payments" and it shows that it is in review. My next question though is what happened to make receiving payments so slow now? 

All of your questions can be answered by reading the links posted above in this thread.

And if you're really this unfamiliar with how Upwork functions, you should also go read all of the "Getting Started" information posted here: https://community.upwork.com/t5/New-to-Upwork/Getting-Started-on-Upwork/m-p/264214#M2460

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
10 of 10

@Jon S wrote:

Here's the answer to most of this from one of the first replies in this thread:

All work weeks end on Sunday evening in the U.S., so even if you wrapped up the job on Tuesday, the hours don't go to the client for review until Sunday night. Then, the client has until Friday to review and dispute. Assuming the client doesn't dispute, the hours shift to "pending" on Friday and are available for withdrawal the following Wednesday (actually Tuesday night in the U.S.)

Direct deposit varies depending on where you are located and your bank. In the U.S., it's typically two business days.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS