cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Requiring a passport

Ace Contributor
Linda B Member Since: Oct 13, 2015
1 of 9

So a job qualification requirement is to have an American or Canadian passport. That sounds suspiciously like they are going to want a copy of it, which raises red flags for me.

Am I just being paranoid or is this a normal thing?

FYI I would not ever give out ID or personal info anyway, just checking if this job is legit.

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
2 of 9

Hi Linda,

Please, don't share any personal information or documents with clients directly. While clients can set location preferences for their jobs, they shouldn't request freelancers to send them pictures of their IDs to confirm it. Upwork has ways to verify freelancer's location securely if needed.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Ace Contributor
Ken J Member Since: Nov 29, 2014
3 of 9

I have the same issue. Potential client claims to be in Saudi Arabia and wants a picture of my passport.

Ace Contributor
Ken J Member Since: Nov 29, 2014
4 of 9

I have already signed an NDA with them.

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
5 of 9

Hi Ken,

Please refer to the reply Valeria posted to a similar question above. Please click on my name and send me a screenshot of the client's request and a link to their job post in a private message.

Ace Contributor
Linda B Member Since: Oct 13, 2015
6 of 9
Thank you, I will decline the job interview then.
Sarah P Member Since: Apr 1, 2019
7 of 9

I have the same question. I am brand new to UP Work (I created my profile today!). I found an interesting posting which is located where I'm moving to in a month so I wanted to apply, but before I could even submit any sort of proposal, they were asking for a copy of my passport. Is this normal? How do you know if it is secure or not? 

Thanks! 

Community Leader
Bettye U Member Since: Mar 6, 2016
8 of 9

No one should be asking for a copy of your passport or any other personal document. It's my understanding that scammers target new freelancers, hoping they'll hand over personal information. As you become more experienced and have jobs to your profile, this will probably stop.

Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
9 of 9

Welcome to Upwork, Sarah!

Are you referring to the system asking you to verify your location? Location verification is required should you wish to apply for jobs with a U.S. location requirement. Once location-verified, you should be able to access, and bid for jobs with a U.S. location requirement. In general, Upwork has industry-standard security measures in place, and teams dedicated to ensuring the security of the Upwork platform and your information. 

Since you are new here, I would also take this opportunity to share these freelancer resources and these tips for avoiding questionable jobs, to help you get started, and for more information about working safely through Upwork.

-Avery
Untitled
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS