Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Researching a potential client

Highlighted
Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
1 of 7

I generally research potential clients online (Google, Linked In, etc.).  Is there a way to research one who has been on Upwork for a while?  That is, what jobs they've previously listed and filled, etc.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Stephen B Member Since: Dec 4, 2012
2 of 7

For those who have solely been on Upwork/oDesk, their whole job history should be visible on any job of theirs, Should being the important word. At the moment the whole thing about client information is off the wall/up the creek/a pile of *****. That's certainly the case with clients migrating from Elance, and maybe it's a bit understandable and will eventually be sorted. Hopefully original oDesk/Upwork clients should still have everything visible.

Though nothing is assured around here any more...

Highlighted
Community Guru
3 of 7

The  client history is somewhere I can't find.  Mine, as a freelancer, is easy to find.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Dawn L Member Since: Sep 3, 2015
4 of 7

Best bet is to check the client's stats located at the right of the job description.. the area that tells you whether the client's payment is verified, the number of jobs posted with their hire rate, and the total amount of money they've spent per job and/or average hourly rate paid. You can also check the feedback scores and star ratings from other contractors that have worked with that client. The only time that I'm aware that any of this information is incomplete or inaccurate is when the client is new to Upwork, or they are a client that have migrated here from Elance.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
5 of 7

I never research clients in any way, other than what information is on Upwork. I don't Google them, look at LinkedIn, or anything else.

And most of my clients are new, so they have no Upwork history to speak of.

I don't say anybody should NOT research clients, but I find it isn't necessary.

I either do hourly projects or fixed-price starting with small milestones...

If a client treats me well, that is my benchmark... Not any digital footprint.

Highlighted
Community Guru
6 of 7

Well, as a paralegal I need to be careful.  Lots of potential clients think of paralegals as discount lawyers and want legal advice, which I cannot (and will not) provide.  I try to work ony with corporations or attorneys or legal marketing groups but occasionally I would like to know something about their Upwork past.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Cairenn R Member Since: Aug 19, 2015
7 of 7

@Mary W wrote:

Well, as a paralegal I need to be careful.  Lots of potential clients think of paralegals as discount lawyers and want legal advice, which I cannot (and will not) provide.  I try to work ony with corporations or attorneys or legal marketing groups but occasionally I would like to know something about their Upwork past.

As a former paralegal myself, you are spot on Mary. Smiley Happy

Law has a different set of rules and what some people do not understand (or refuse to accept) is that we could lose our certification and/or license because of one bad client.

If they are truly professionals in the field, they should have references to their business offsite - like LinkedIn or a company website. But as far as UW goes, the info provided is too limited here. Vet everyone via the messaging system and yes, do your research.   

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS