Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Responsiveness score for clients

Ace Contributor
Nail Y Member Since: Jul 18, 2015
11 of 21

@Preston,

Yes, it bothers me. Communication taking long for both client and the freelancer is something that would bother anyone, except you I guess. There is a responsiveness score for the freelancer, I guess it's because it bothers clients when communications with freelancer take long. It bothers me the same way when the client takes long to respond.

I don't see myself as working for the client. I am doing business with the client and selling my service. As a seller of my service, I deserve the same respect as a client (who is the buyer of my service) gets.

Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
12 of 21

Nail, I completely agree with you. I have an ongoing client - a kind of now-you-see-him-now-you-don't client. The returns are pathetic for almost nil communication, and I have to wait for up to three weeks and more to be paid for a $35 gig. I don't dare close the job, because I know that retribution would be severe vis à vis the JSS. So I grin and bear it, but it is galling, and humiliating.

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
13 of 21

Hi Nail,

Thank you for your feedback and suggestion, I will share it with the team. Could you please clarify if you are referring more to the way clients reply to proposals or messages regarding an open contract?

would like to point out that Communication is one of the categories that we ask freelancers to rate clients they work with on. We encourage our users to provide honest rating on a contract and inform the rest of the community about their experience.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Ace Contributor
14 of 21

Hi Valeria,

I am referring to clients I am working with on an open contract.

Yes, we can rate clients in Communication category. So the clients can rate us likewise. But only freelancers have a responsiveness score, why need it if the feedback mechanism is enough? If it is not enough, then you should also have a responsiveness score for clients, but only taking the communication in open contracts into account. So, we, as freelancers, will have a better idea how it will be like to communicate with the client throughout the project before applying. For example, if I know that it takes a week in average for a client to respond while working on a contract, I definitely will not work with them. Like the client will not work with me if it takes that long for me to respond. Fair - Fair.

I observe most things are in favor for clients in most freelancing platforms and it is not fair in my opinion. We are not their or your employees, we do business just like they do, we sell our services, our time and we deserve the same respect clients receive. No freelancers > no work > no clients > no money for the platform.

Thanks.

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
15 of 21

Thank you for clarifying, Nail.

I would like to note though that the way you communicate with the clients you have open contracts with does not affect your Responsiveness score. It may affect your feedback and Job Success score as clients are asked to rate your commmunication skills. Responsiveness score is based only on how quickly you reply (decline or accept) invitations to apply for jobs.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Ace Contributor
16 of 21

Valeria,

I didn't know that. Good to know actually. I kept thinking it was a measure of communication during open contracts.

I guess my point becomes kind of obsolete now. But still knowing how responsive a freelancer or a client is during an open project would be nice, not sure if that's possible technically.

Community Guru
Olga Q Member Since: Sep 5, 2012
17 of 21

If Nail is talking about clients taking too long (when they do) to answer our messages during an open contract, I totally agree with him. I have had several clients that don't even answer back when I send them the final research report. I understand that everyone is very busy with their own life/business but I find it too much to not even bother to say "got the document, thanks.", because, in the end, they might just end the contract and leave us a poor feedback.

Community Guru
Suzanne N Member Since: Aug 15, 2012
18 of 21

It is not just clients one is working with. I have had several recently that invite me to a job then doing answer me back at all once I accept the invitation. It would be nice if they were held accountable for contacting the freelancer back in a timely manner as we are expected to reply to them in a timely manner.

But oh yeah, they can have jobs open for 2-3 years as long as they long in once in 30 days and not hire anyone or do anything with a useless job. I forgot. Upwork really doesn't care what the client does. Including scamming and lying.

Community Guru
Stephen B Member Since: Dec 4, 2012
19 of 21

"We encourage our users to provide honest rating on a contract and inform the rest of the community about their experience."

By giving secret, private information which is manipulated in a manner no one understands, before it is presented to the rest of the community as an unidentifiable part of an obscure number?

Community Guru
Cathleen C Member Since: Aug 17, 2015
20 of 21

I agree, there should be a responsiveness score for clients, too. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS