cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Resume Requested, Should I Red Flag or Not?

Community Guru
Linda P Member Since: Aug 1, 2015
11 of 42

Wouldn't a picture of of someone running through the woods, with their back of fire be better?

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
12 of 42

Send something that highlights your excellent skills with scammers. Make up fake resume that says you're head of national security Nigerian sector for arresting scam rings.

Community Guru
13 of 42

Thanks.. Great Idea...

Could have used this suggestion just the other day.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Hanna N Member Since: Jun 17, 2015
14 of 42

I see quite a lot of jobs like this, and in fact, just last week I got an invitation to interview for a job, just to be told to send my CV and my Skype id to their e-mail address. Mine was for a company that has a good standing on UpWork and that with some Googling is a legimate business, but I do wonder if they have hired some people on here just to get those nice stats going, only to hire outside of UpWork afterwards.... It is a bit suspicious. 

Then again, when we talk about big companies that might not be that familiar with outsourcing conventions, I would not be surprised if they want to see your CV just because they are used to hiring people in a certain manner and the idea of comparing internet portfolios and freelancer profiles just seems strange to them. Maybe they want the applicants to send CV so they can play shuffle with the resumes on the table instead of a computer screen.

I personally would send a CV upon request if it seems like a legimate job after some research into the company... but I take out my phone number, address etc. and replace them with my UpWork portfolio link and Skype id.

Community Guru
15 of 42

Even if it were a "Big Company", I would still do a thorough Google search.  You may find, reports about "Scams" under the company name, especially if they use Acronyms.

Better than sending a Resume... 

I just responded to the invitation, via Upwork Messenger and asked the to refer their "Hiring Manager" to my Profile, that my Resume information was included.

Just waiting to see if any response, or if I get declined for offer.

This particular client does not give their company name, and besides that, they have only joined Upwork on 10/3.

Community Guru
Ela K Member Since: Feb 9, 2015
16 of 42

@Hanna N wrote:

I see quite a lot of jobs like this, and in fact, just last week I got an invitation to interview for a job, just to be told to send my CV and my Skype id to their e-mail address. Mine was for a company that has a good standing on UpWork and that with some Googling is a legimate business, but I do wonder if they have hired some people on here just to get those nice stats going, only to hire outside of UpWork afterwards.... It is a bit suspicious. 

Then again, when we talk about big companies that might not be that familiar with outsourcing conventions, I would not be surprised if they want to see your CV just because they are used to hiring people in a certain manner and the idea of comparing internet portfolios and freelancer profiles just seems strange to them. Maybe they want the applicants to send CV so they can play shuffle with the resumes on the table instead of a computer screen.

I personally would send a CV upon request if it seems like a legimate job after some research into the company... but I take out my phone number, address etc. and replace them with my UpWork portfolio link and Skype id.

Hanna,

Are you talking about a company that has a measly hiring rate of 10% - and more than 40 open (very generic) job postings? And they are 'interviewing' for each one of them.

If not, I encountered something very similar last week. I googled them as well, and the business seems legit.

I did send my CV - but deleted all personal data except for my name.

Am still debating whether to report them - I might as well. 23 hires (more than 170 postings) in 7 years is really odd, to say the least!

The people I communicated with (company email addresses) were nice enough and they didn't offer to pay me outside the platform (yet). BUT - they offered me a gig yesterday that they haven't posted on here; which I declined right away as the rate was too low for me. That in itself isn't necessarily a red flag - I regularly communicate with people via private email about jobs that result in Upwork projects.

Still, this business seems fishy.

Ela

Community Guru
17 of 42

Ela,

this was an US company with following stats:

$9,562

I think they only hire for fixed price contracts, so that explains the lack of hours. The total amount spent is promising, and out of 18 applicans for the job they only initiated 4 interviews, so that seems legimate as well. 14 reviews have given them 4.99 stars, so the freelancers have been happy. It's just the amount of posted jobs against the hires that makes me suspicious.

Does indeed seem like we are talking about the same company, doesn't it?

Community Guru
18 of 42

@Hanna N wrote:

Ela,

this was an US company with following stats:

$9,562

I think they only hire for fixed price contracts, so that explains the lack of hours. The total amount spent is promising, and out of 18 applicans for the job they only initiated 4 interviews, so that seems legimate as well. 14 reviews have given them 4.99 stars, so the freelancers have been happy. It's just the amount of posted jobs against the hires that makes me suspicious.

Does indeed seem like we are talking about the same company, doesn't it?

Yep, that's the one.

And barely $10k over 7 years is really not a lot... 

They haven't hired anyone on 43 job postings. I am going with my gut feeling here. Some posts are a month old.

Community Guru
19 of 42

I agree. Can you check the amount of interviews against the amount of applicans on the job you got interviewed for please?

(sorry if this considered derailing the thread, I tried to send Ela a PM but it did not go through)

Community Guru
20 of 42

Hanna,

I sent you a PM.

Ela

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS