cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Resume Requested, Should I Red Flag or Not?

This widget could not be displayed.
21 of 42
This widget could not be displayed.

@Hanna N wrote:

Ela,

this was an US company with following stats:

$9,562

I think they only hire for fixed price contracts, so that explains the lack of hours. The total amount spent is promising, and out of 18 applicans for the job they only initiated 4 interviews, so that seems legimate as well. 14 reviews have given them 4.99 stars, so the freelancers have been happy. It's just the amount of posted jobs against the hires that makes me suspicious.

Does indeed seem like we are talking about the same company, doesn't it?

This is interesting. I have provided a bid to a company with the same statistics, located in US. In my case they have been looking for German native editors (urgent!) and then they wanted my CV to be sent to an email outside of Upwork and my Skype-ID. All information they may have needed is available on my profile. So I have refused, withdrawn my bid and flagged them. That is not the end of the story. The same job was offered in Elance by a company located in Brazil. I have reported this. However, both jobs are still active, nothing changed. In case of the Upwork job, the client has bought some services in the past but placed a lot of jobs without any visible activity. His/her main interest might be finding freelancers for work out of the platform and/or to make use of the personal data in the CV.

Community Guru
Hanna N Member Since: Jun 17, 2015
22 of 42

Margarete,

The job I applied for was also marked as (urgent!). Interesting...

As far as I know, Ela also works in the translating & proofreading field in German. I work with Finnish.

I am becoming more and more convinced that this company is a translating agency that maybe hires people to do small sample projects on UpWork, but otherwise hires them outside of UpWork. If it is a big company, then that would explain why the people we have talked to and that have posted these jobs online seem to be from different countries (so far USA, Argentina and Brazil, apparently).

Community Guru
Javier M Member Since: Sep 16, 2015
23 of 42

Hey there,

I don' see wrong with asking for a classical cv and I'm shocked that many of you do.

Have the feeling that some companies send a "hunter" here while hiring managers wait "outside" for cvs of the best candidates. If everything goes well then the contract is started in upwork.

BTW. even Elance upwork asks for classical resumes sometimes

https://www.elance.com/j/work-upwork-java-developer-full-time-long-term/73825020/?bidid=73833194 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Hanna N Member Since: Jun 17, 2015
24 of 42

Javier,

I don't really understand what my CV has to do with my freelancing. Any qualifications that are relevant to the services I provide on UpWork are listed on my UpWork profile. I have not worked on "brick and mortar" -world positions that have anything to do with the services I provide, so a client requesting my CV would learn more about my love for karaoke than about my qualifications as a translator/writer by reading my resume. Not to mention that a lot of freelancers are cautious about giving out the sort of information about themselves that is usually listed on a CV to people they do not know - and rightly so. With all the scams that float around on websites such as this one, it's just the smart thing to do.

Community Guru
25 of 42

Hi,

well, I'm just saying that I don't understand the fuss.

Sure you haven't worked on that but for many positions your non-frelancing experience is extremely important.

Maybe it's because I'm really used to dealing with recruiters of all sorts and I don't care anymore: they usually request for cv, linkedin, github, open source projects, references (a urine test would not surprise me...)

If you ask me I'd rather provide my cv than the standard stuff we have here in upwork.

Basically, nobody can place some 69% JS there Smiley LOL   

Community Guru
Linda P Member Since: Aug 1, 2015
26 of 42

Javier, I'm sorry you don't care anymore...

But how many times have you had someone try scam you lately?

Community Guru
27 of 42

@Linda P wrote:

Javier, I'm sorry you don't care anymore...

But how many times have you had someone try scam you lately?

mmmmmmmmm in upwork as far as I can remember never.

I must be a rara avis I know Smiley Very Happy

In Elance  once and in other platforms many times.

I do not always send my cv but it is quite a public thing.

Community Guru
28 of 42

Javier M wrote:

mmmmmmmmm in upwork as far as I can remember never.

Well, Bless Your Heart.

Community Guru
29 of 42

Hanna, two words... 

Right On!

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
30 of 42

If a client asked me for a resume or CV, I might decide not to send it to,them or I might decide not to apply for their job, or not to continue in the interview process. Or I might refer them to my profile. Or I might even decide to send them some information about my employment history and education in the form of a CV. Probably not, but who knows...

But I would never flag a job posting purely because there was a request for a CV/resume. I don't think that is legitimate grounds for flagging a posting, in and of itself.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS