cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Resume Requested, Should I Red Flag or Not?

Community Guru
Linda P Member Since: Aug 1, 2015
31 of 42

Preston H Wrote:

But I would never flag a job posting purely because there was a request for a CV/resume. I don't think that is legitimate grounds for flagging a posting, in and of itself.

I never said anything about the Job Posting stating a request for a Resume.

The Resume was requested to be "Emailed" in an "Invitation" to Interview.

All I did was to ask a question about flagging.

Ace Contributor
Tasos V Member Since: Sep 15, 2015
32 of 42

When I encounter situations like this one, I usually answer with:

"Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for the interview invitation. If you don't mind, I would prefer to stick on Upwork Message platform in case we will need to mention something from it later in the job contract. In any case, if you want to discuss on Skype, I will first kindly ask for your permission to copy-paste our discussion later in Upwork Message. If you do not have any problem with this, we can proceed to the interview.

Kind Regards,

Tasos"

I had an interview that a client prefered a Skype Chat for more functionality, but he didn't have any issue to paste later our discussion here. If one doesn't want either of them, then 100% there is something weird and I would flag the job description with the above details.

Community Guru
Jean S Member Since: Oct 22, 2007
33 of 42

I wonder if the CV / Resume problem is simply clients not knowing what to ask for. In the bricks and mortar world it would be normal to ask for this. So maybe they just don't know how to word it.

I think the appropriate reply is to link to your portfolio.

Now, that being said, yesterday I linked to my profile in a reply to a job I was invited to. Unfortunately it ended up picking up my entire profile and putting it into the response area of the job invitation. I'm not very pleased abut that.

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
34 of 42

Jean, are you referring to a preview of a page that you see once you paste a link in your message? In such case you should see a "X" to remove the preview. Please let me know if it works for you.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Community Guru
Jean S Member Since: Oct 22, 2007
35 of 42

It didn't show a preview Valerie. It showed the entire page. I had no idea that would happen because I put my profile link in the message.

Community Guru
36 of 42

_________

Jeans S Wrote:

I wonder if the CV / Resume problem is simply clients not knowing what to ask for. In the bricks and mortar world it would be normal to ask for this. So maybe they just don't know how to word it.

I think the appropriate reply is to link to your portfolio.

_________

Good Answer!

Never thought about sending s "link to my portfolio".

But why by email?

Highlighted
Community Guru
37 of 42

Tasos V Wrote:

"Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for the interview invitation. If you don't mind, I would prefer to stick on Upwork Message platform in case we will need to mention something from it later in the job contract. In any case, if you want to discuss on Skype, I will first kindly ask for your permission to copy-paste our discussion later in Upwork Message. If you do not have any problem with this, we can proceed to the interview.

Kind Regards,

Tasos"

Great Job! I believe your posts is more like what I was looking for.

Tasos V Also Wrote:

I had an interview that a client prefered a Skype Chat for more functionality, but he didn't have any issue to paste later our discussion here. If one doesn't want either of them, then 100% there is something weird and I would flag the job description with the above details.

There was never an interview.

I'm just not comfortable giving out personal details online, that are listed on my Resume, that's all.

I reserve my Resume's for jobs outside of Upwork and usually presented in person.

Besides, all my resume information is in my Profile.

Ace Contributor
Nadav I Member Since: Apr 10, 2015
38 of 42

My CV has nothing to do with what I do on Upwork. I have spent months building up the profile with great reviews, certificates, job histories and a nice portfolio.

I applied to a job today, which required very detailed answers to no less than 10 extra questions, on top of the cover letter, and other requirements such as passing specific Upwork tests, and still asked for a CV -- I covered EVERYTHING relevant within this application, and the rest of the info about myself is available on my profile. There would be no need for a CV. I simply wrote "Sorry, I will not be attaching a CV, as I believe this cover letter and my profile explains enough about me"

So I would suggest to others to do the same. Even if the client never asked so many questions, give them the information they are looking for anyway, and don't attach a CV. It is a habit that should not exist in the online freelancing world.

Community Guru
39 of 42

Navada I Wrote:

My CV has nothing to do with what I do on Upwork. I have spent months building up the profile with great reviews, certificates, job histories and a nice portfolio.

I applied to a job today, which required very detailed answers to no less than 10 extra questions, on top of the cover letter, and other requirements such as passing specific Upwork tests, and still asked for a CV -- I covered EVERYTHING relevant within this application, and the rest of the info about myself is available on my profile. There would be no need for a CV. I simply wrote "Sorry, I will not be attaching a CV, as I believe this cover letter and my profile explains enough about me"

So I would suggest to others to do the same. Even if the client never asked so many questions, give them the information they are looking for anyway, and don't attach a CV. It is a habit that should not exist in the online freelancing world.

Exactly, "My CV has nothing to do with what I do on Upwork."

If there are additional questions, that's not the problem either.

It was when I was requested to send my Resume via EMail, when the Invitation to Interview was received.

A little more info about this...

This particular Job Posing showed:

72 applicants

72 interviews

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
40 of 42

re: "All I did was to ask a question about flagging."

And it was a very good question, which led to a worthwhile discussion.

To clarify:

I would not flag a job posting if it asked for a resume/CV, nor would I go back and flag the posting if, at some point during the interview stage, the client asked for a resume/CV. There may be legitimate, innocent reasons for the client doing so, such as the possibility that she is working as a hiring manager for a company and this is a standard step that she takes when hiring contractors from a variety of sources, not just Upwork.

I can either provide a link to my Upwork profile instead of providing a CV, or I can send a CV-formatted document that contains information found in my profile, without any personal contact information.

If the request for a resume/CV is indeed part of a scam or phishing attempt, I will flag or report the job as a scam or as a phishing attempt, using the job flagging tool. But I would not report a job in any way only because I was asked for a resume/CV.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS