Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Retain New Clients

Highlighted
Community Guru
Krisztina U Member Since: Aug 7, 2009
21 of 23

@Lyam B wrote:

Krisztina, you raise some good points in regards to mandatory payment verification. I can see it as being a little off-putting like you mentioned in your shopping online example.

The problem is:

Two examples:

An honest client wants to build a team on Upwork.

• He doesn't verify payment method and posts a job
  • Only a few freelancers apply despite the listed job being popular
  • The client isn't happy with the freelancers that applied
  • Client leaves and finds freelancers elsewhere
  • Freelancers' Connects are wasted

A client joins with intent to spam and scam

• He doesn't verify payment method and posts a job
  • Only a few freelancers apply despite the job being popular
  • The client has no intention of hiring anyone
  • Freelancers' Connects are wasted
  • Client posts another job/creates a new account
  • More Connects are wasted

Limiting clients to job posting is a good idea, but it doesn't solve the problem. And now you mention it, verifying payment method might not either. This is why I think Connects for new/unverified clients should cost nothing. 

I do agree with your idea of 0 connects for application on ads without a verified payment method. It a win win.

I am not sure what new clients see when they sign up, but there should be a constant reminder to verify their payment method. Verifying the payment method takes a few days, which is why I would not prohibit new clients to post a job, but prohibit them from making a hire.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Krisztina U Member Since: Aug 7, 2009
22 of 23

@Setu M wrote:

I understand the points of everyone who chimed in "for" no mandatory verification along with Lyam's OP. However how do we address the lingering point of "no guarantee" without payment verification? Both ideas are exclusive. And remember, a 'new' client carries the most risk.

Setu, a client without a verified payment method should not be allowed to make a hire! I don't understand why that is allowed by the system but should be relatively easy to fix. Either grey out the hire box, or even better, when they click on it, take them to the verify your payment method page. 

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
23 of 23

Hi All,

I have been following this discussion and there are some really interesting points in it. I will be forwarding your feedback to the team.

I would just like to add that usually a client will be prompted to add and verify a payment method before sending an offer to a freelancer.

Thank you!

~ Valeria
Untitled
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS