Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Retain New Clients

Highlighted
Community Guru
Lyam B Member Since: Nov 3, 2014
1 of 23

Hola!

So, I usually apply for jobs posted by new clients. Because I have steady work, I can afford to lose Connects, and sometimes new clients come through. Also, less competition and by less...I'm usually the only applicant. 

Most jobs I'm seeing posted by new clients (or more specifically clients who haven't verified their payment method) receive a shockingly low number of applicants.

Why? Because freelancers don't want to waste their Connects.

The solution? Any jobs posted by clients who are new and/or haven't verified their payment method should require no Connects to apply. 

If nothing's done about this, new clients who may be honest and willing will leave simply due to the lack of applicants. 

You can argue quality this, quality that...blah blah blah...but I'm sure clients would prefer to have 50 applicants with 5% being skilled, rather than no applicants. 

I think this is pretty important and would appreciate input.

Cheers!

Lyam

Highlighted
Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
2 of 23

@Lyam B wrote:

Most jobs I'm seeing posted by new clients (or more specifically clients who haven't verified their payment method) receive a shockingly low number of applicants.

Why? Because freelancers don't want to waste their Connects.

Lyam, I agree wholeheartedly with your suggestion. I could also say something sarcastic about the situation, but will hold my peace.

Santiago G Member Since: Mar 10, 2015
3 of 23

Yeah, that sounds like it could work out well. No connects needed for clients with no verified payment method and/or no history/feeback.

"New clients" can get a little better chance at finding someone (IF they are a real deal client) and freelancers don't lose any connects while taking yet another chance.

Lets face it, every job any freelancer applies to has the chance to waste connects just the same. But if it is another fake job post with no real intention of hiring, at least the freelancers only lose some time in applying and can continue without further losses.

Highlighted
Community Guru
4 of 23

Thanks for the input!

I honestly think this would make a positive change on clients, freelancers and Upwork.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Setu M Member Since: Jan 26, 2014
5 of 23

Good suggestion Lyam, I also take advantage of the situation you described.

But how about the client just waits until payment method is verified. It doesn't take a long time even for a new client. Also, if something goes wrong for whatever the reason, you have no coverage whatsoever by any of the 2 Upwork guarantees. Rather than going in that direction, I would push for clients to get their payment method verified as a mandatory requirement.

This is a business environment, not "feel up and buy" (a colloquial slang in my country). I know many will argue that clients sometimes want to feel out the environment and potential offerings from freelancers. Well I am not for that either. In the same way we (freelancers) did our due diligence before and after joining the platform, to see what jobs exist, categories, numbers, opportunities, rates, etc; a client also has the same access and even more to all these areas and tools on the platform. A client can investigate these matters easily before posting a job. When you are ready to post a job - get your payment method verified.

And that is what actually wastes freelancers' connects - clients who did not come here to do business.

My two cents.

---- easy like Sunday morning ----
Highlighted
Community Guru
6 of 23

Setu, a while back, when Connects were first introduced. I argued the exact same. I said before clients should be allowed to post, they MUST verify a payment method. I think Garnor said they were implementing things to safeguard Connects, but making verifying payment as a mandatory procedure was not something they were pursuing. Or something along those lines...

Highlighted
Community Guru
7 of 23
I personally think it should be mandatory in order for the client to post a job, since hiring someone to get your job done was the reason you came to the platform. I am not sure what "verification" entails, and why some legitimate clients would opt not to do it, so I cannot comment on that.

But in regard to Upwork's guarantees, and the fact they are dependent on client payment verification; I find it contrary that they do not make it mandatory. Mods and CS are always warning you to ensure that the payment method is verified in order to have some form of redress. Yet the system has no intention of making this same "warning" mandatory - in the way of forced payment verification.
Highlighted
Community Guru
8 of 23

Completely agree. Also, imagine the reduction of spam and scam listings if clients had to verify their payment details before posting. They wouldn't be able to create account after account after account. 

Clients can get a "feel" for Upwork without posting a job, but they should have to verify their payment if they post a job. If they don't verify, to me, it means they aren't willing to go ahead with the contract and are timewasters. 

If Upwork aren't in favour of making payment verification mandatory, then surely they can simply the client interface so 'payment verification' pops up a lot, as in to persuade them to verify, even if it's a friendly fact like, "57% more freelancers will apply to payment-verified jobs"

Highlighted
Community Guru
9 of 23

***Parts retracted since it may be offensive to the OP***

I like that last idea of the informative but annoying pop-up Smiley Happy

Go back and read your OP, and see how Upwork was seeping into your brain. How you were engineering an Upwork solution to patch a problem you once spoke about in detail Smiley Happy

We have to endeavour not to relent until the platform works as it should, not let Upwork's broken environment change how we looked at things.

Nice discussion Lyam.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Jaime L Member Since: May 11, 2015
10 of 23

@Setu M wrote:
I personally think it should be mandatory in order for the client to post a job, since hiring someone to get your job done was the reason you came to the platform. I am not sure what "verification" entails, and why some legitimate clients would opt not to do it, so I cannot comment on that.

But in regard to Upwork's guarantees, and the fact they are dependent on client payment verification; I find it contrary that they do not make it mandatory. Mods and CS are always warning you to ensure that the payment method is verified in order to have some form of redress. Yet the system has no intention of making this same "warning" mandatory - in the way of forced payment verification.

I was literally just about to post this!! Bang on.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS