Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Retiring All Skill Tests

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
11 of 21

Ben R wrote:

Essentually, it allowed clients to avoid having to pay multiple individuals just as a basic test to see if they are knowledgeable in a particular field of study.

No, the test results have been meaningless for years.

Ben R wrote:

If UpWork can't get new blood, it's going to hurt all of us in the end

Every single day, 10.000 wannabe freelancers try to get onto Upwork. 98% are rejected, of the rest, the majority never win a job.

The chances of Upwork being unable to attract new freelancers are slim to nil at the moment. Not having any nonsenical skill tests will not make a difference.

ekojr
Ben R Member Since: Aug 22, 2017
12 of 21

Petra R wrote:

Ben R wrote:

Essentually, it allowed clients to avoid having to pay multiple individuals just as a basic test to see if they are knowledgeable in a particular field of study.

Well, there's already a few, including myself, that probably wouldn't be here without it. Plus, starting out, it did seem to make a significant difference; which others have noticed as well.

Ben R wrote:

If UpWork can't get new blood, it's going to hurt all of us in the end

Every single day, 10.000 wannabe freelancers try to get onto Upwork. 98% are rejected, of the rest, the majority never win a job.

The chances of Upwork being unable to attract new freelancers are slim to nil at the moment. Not having any nonsenical skill tests will not make a difference.

Wow...That's actually pretty bad. Is it really that saturated?!? Then again, I have seen new job postings go over 50+ applicants within the first 10-30 minutes. ...but how is removing skill tests going to improve it. I mean, is 99% a better number? Clients have to sift through all that, and their the ones who keep this company alive! ...discouraging to say the least. 

...Someone else mentioned cheating....not surprising, but there's ways to resolve that. Change the questions and keep them fresh would be the simplest solution. No one in their right mind is going to continually post the answers for free of charge. However, if it has been the same questions & answers...what'd you expect?

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
13 of 21

Ben R wrote:

Wow...That's actually pretty bad. Is it really that saturated?!?

It is Smiley Happy

feed_my_eyes
Community Guru
Christine A Member Since: May 4, 2016
14 of 21

Ben R wrote:

Petra R wrote:

Well, there's already a few, including myself, that probably wouldn't be here without it. Plus, starting out, it did seem to make a significant difference; which others have noticed as well.

...Someone else mentioned cheating....not surprising, but there's ways to resolve that. Change the questions and keep them fresh would be the simplest solution. No one in their right mind is going to continually post the answers for free of charge. However, if it has been the same questions & answers...what'd you expect?

The tests may have been meaningful years ago and helped you when you were starting out, but that doesn't mean that they're relevant now. I suppose that Upwork could update the tests on a daily basis (and yes, that's how quickly the answers would be posted online), but even if this was feasible from a cost and admin perspective, clients have already lost confidence in test scores being a reliable indicator of performance and there's no going back, IMO.

alanhorenstein
Community Leader
Alan H Member Since: Nov 23, 2014
15 of 21

Stephen R wrote:

"Never mattered, never will."

Not sure that's true. I have indicators that good test scores improved one's visibility. I am guessing that they are or were a part of the freelancer search ranking algorithm. During my first two years freelancing on Upwork, I received an average of four interview invitations per month. In mid September 2013 I took three or four marketing and management tests and scored very well on them all. One or two of those test scores "officially" validated certain profile skills. On September 18, 2013, I received four job interviews in a single day. Since then, I have averaged between 13 and 26 invitations a month. That was the tipping point for me in many ways here on Upwork.

ronlorraine
Ace Contributor
Ron M Member Since: Oct 25, 2016
16 of 21

Good to see the tests go. I started to take the PHP and Wordpress tests a couple of years ago and they were more like a History test of PHP and Wordpress.

richard_wein
Community Guru
Richard W Member Since: Jun 22, 2017
17 of 21

Ron M wrote:

Good to see the tests go. I started to take the PHP and Wordpress tests a couple of years ago and they were more like a History test of PHP and Wordpress.

Like the Creative Writing test which doesn't involve any creative writing. (As a multiple choice test, how could it?) I scored in the top 20% despite being a hopelessly uncreative writer. 

Then there's the Italian to English translation test which I passed (just) without knowing any Italian. Smiley Wink

(I didn't cheat or Google.)

martina_plaschka
Community Guru
Martina P Member Since: Jul 11, 2018
18 of 21

Stephen R wrote:

Good riddance. Never mattered, never will.

Thank you Upwork.

Now fix our problem with clients who disappear and never close contracts.

Clients are to busy, get fired, leave jobs and don't care about our overall freelancer ratings.

Its not logical to assume all clients will play by the Upwork rules and finish what they start.

Thank you

I liked the tests. I think they look awesome on my profile. 

Plus they could have been a wake-up call to all the hopeful newbies that have a profile devoid of all info and still come to the forum to ask why their proposals are not successful. I still believe they should be obliged to take at least 3 relevant tests to get their profile approved. But I guess nothing is going to deter them, sadly.

So the quality of freelancers is not going to improve by not having tests. 

ashishr_99
Ashish R Member Since: Oct 5, 2013
19 of 21

No solution in retiring. Nothing proved when 10 people agree with you. They could all be wrong. Arrogating for yourself the right to decide? Ending something simplistic. Tests were a criteria for a freelancer to judge her abilities objectively. Now everyone has subjectivity, and free for all clamour. For example, me saying, I know Excel, I can claim, and you better give me work! Based on my word someone gives me an assignment, and after some time realising I was wrong. How can that be good? in any intelligent discussion!

jr-translation
Community Guru
Jennifer R Member Since: Sep 15, 2017
20 of 21

Ashish R wrote:

No solution in retiring. Nothing proved when 10 people agree with you. They could all be wrong. Arrogating for yourself the right to decide? Ending something simplistic. Tests were a criteria for a freelancer to judge her abilities objectively. Now everyone has subjectivity, and free for all clamour. For example, me saying, I know Excel, I can claim, and you better give me work! Based on my word someone gives me an assignment, and after some time realising I was wrong. How can that be good? in any intelligent discussion!

Claiming to have a skill you do not have is a ToS violation. This is not about being right or wrong but about being a scammer or not.
The people that claimed to have a skill set they do not have were the same people that just copied the answers from the internet.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS