cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Returning Edited Work

jcicchetti
Julia C Member Since: Oct 15, 2015
1 of 9

I'm wondering what the best/most accepted way is to return edited work.

It was given to me as a PDF, so handwritten notes on the PDF then scanned in? Digital notes on the PDF?

Help is much appreciated. Thank you!

marciamalory
Community Guru
Marcia M Member Since: Apr 3, 2013
2 of 9
I just turn on Track Changes in Word.
jcicchetti
Julia C Member Since: Oct 15, 2015
3 of 9

Thank you, Marcia! It was given to me in a PDF. Do you usually use that same procedure?

colettelewis
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
4 of 9

I hate editing PDFs. But your client should have made the PDF at least basically editable - highlights, sticky notes and comments. Can you ask him or her to send you the document in Word? You can PDF the clean version afterwards.

elastella
Community Guru
Ela K Member Since: Feb 9, 2015
5 of 9

Julia,

In general, it depends on the file format of the source file and your client's requirements/specifications in the job description. If they haven't spelled it out yet you need to ask them for details before accepting any jobs.

You should always request the source file or at least a sample before committing to editing/proofreading assignments. Without these you won't be able to estimate the scope of the project - which means, you won't be in a position to estimate your budget properly.

I also prefer working with track changes in Word - as it enables my clients to review my changes and either accept or reject them. Other clients ask me to work on their website content and edit text online and publish changes right away - without them reviewing my work. I only do that once I have established a track record with said clients and know for sure they like my style etc. 

I usually convert PDF-files to Word docs as I find working via adding comments exhausting. I also dislike proofreading Excel-sheets immensely. It's a lot more work.

Best,

Ela

marciamalory
Community Guru
Marcia M Member Since: Apr 3, 2013
6 of 9

I also convert pdfs to Word.

colettelewis
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
7 of 9

"I also convert pdfs to Word."

I do too, but that can sometimes be a whole job in itself! It's OK for translation.

st-leipzig
Community Guru
Sandra T Member Since: Nov 26, 2014
8 of 9

@Ela K wrote:

I also dislike proofreading Excel-sheets immensely. It's a lot more work.

Best,

Ela

Thanks Ela, I've been waiting for an opportunity to rant about clients who insist on working in Excel, and you delivered Smiley Happy

Whether it's translation or proofing or even just reviewing, I absolutely hate it. I hate it so much, I don't even charge extra for it anymore like I used to, I don't want the money, I just don't want to do it.

I actually love Excel, at least for stuff that isn't related to text production or text editing.

I am not a member Facebook or Change or any other social or not so social media site or organisation, but I keep thinking regularly that if there is one thing I would start a petition against it would be doing textual work in Excel.

Having to translate in Excel to me is like having to paint a picture of nature in the middle of a huge motorway junction.

I could go on and on and on about this, but it's off topic, so I'll refrain.

----------------------------------------------------------

On topic: I convert PDFs too.

elastella
Community Guru
Ela K Member Since: Feb 9, 2015
9 of 9

Haha, Sandra - be my guest.

"Dislike immensely" was polite speak for "I HATE it".

It's so unprofessional. I regularly work for a digital agency and all their text is delivered in fancy coloured Excel workbooks.

I keep working for them because they are very nice - but I will turn down any job offer/not apply to jobs that require me to use that file format.

It's. the. worst.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS