cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reversed money without my fault

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
21 of 32

Hi Khadezatul,

It looks like the funds were reversed due to some issues with the transaction and because the funds were not covered by the oDesk Guarantee. Once your client sorts out the issues on his end, he can issue a bonus to you to cover the reversed payment.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Community Guru
Setu M Member Since: Jan 26, 2014
22 of 32

Hi Valeria,

Your response is both interesting and troubling. The oDesk Guarantee therefore only covers hourly contracts - fullstop. Therefore there is a false sense of protection associated with fixed escrowed contracts. Because like in this case, even though money was escrowed and paid, the freelancer's income was reversed because of a problem with the client's card or account etc. Therefore where is the benefit of funded milestones? This is worrying because at the end of the day the freelancer followed the regulations, worked, and didn't get paid, even under an "improved system".

I have learned one thing: only work on hourly contracts - afterall it is the only type that offers real protection in the form of a guarantee. oDesk needs to stop pushing the idea that this new escrow system makes business safer for the freelancer.

---- easy like Sunday morning ----
Community Leader
Stefan C Member Since: Nov 1, 2011
23 of 32
Community Guru
24 of 32

Hi Stefan,

I am aware of the distinctions. What I am saying is that the freelancer conducted the contract according to the books and got shafted. Hourly ***(typing too fast - thanks Stefan) Fixed-price contracts are protected under Escrow Protection as indicated here. So how is it that this was not invoked? - rather, how is it that the freelancer's balance was reversed?

I would like a response to this.

Community Leader
Stefan C Member Since: Nov 1, 2011
25 of 32

Just to be clear:

Protection

Hourly contracts are not protected under Escrow Protection, but oDesk Guarantee Smiley Happy.

---------------------

I can't really answer your questions, I still have a hard time understanding why is there a 6 days "security period" for funds that are supposed to already be in an "escrow". It's like "yeah, the money is safe in our escrow but we're going to impose a 6 days security period after the funds are released to you just in case... " - in case what? In case the client files a chargeback with their bank or credit card fraud is involved, in which case I'm not going to get my money?

Oh, and as for "only work on hourly contracts - afterall it is the only type that offers real protection in the form of a guarantee" (I think I've failed to properly address that) - well, don't be so sure about it.

I remember some people complaining the dispute team removed their tracked time because.. they used a browser.

Community Guru
Suzanne N Member Since: Aug 15, 2012
26 of 32

Stefan wrote:

Oh, and as for "only work on hourly contracts - afterall it is the only type that offers real protection in the form of a guarantee" (I think I've failed to properly address that) - well, don't be so sure about it.

I remember some people complaining the dispute team removed their tracked time because.. they used a browser.

Stefan,

I work in a browser all day and have for several years. I doubt it is working in a browser that would cause an issue. The help desk I work on is in a browser. No other way to do my work as well as all my other work I do is in a browser. 

I assume it is due to being on pages they should be on when working. I also assume it would be up to the Client what they think is appropriate or not. 

Community Guru
27 of 32
Yea, I am patiently waiting on Valeria. She will know what's up.
Community Guru
Khadezatul K Member Since: May 1, 2015
28 of 32

Hi,

I contacted Odesk support center and they said my problem was handeling by the risk management team. i contacted also risk management team but they told me nothing. They told me that I didnt break Any policy ...all fault was my clients..........I worked for my client and after I rewarded by  punisment.....My money reveresd without any fault of mine.

I have no idea how odesk support us,is this the way ?

Regards

Dijatul

Community Guru
29 of 32
Hopefully Valeria will revisit the thread and give a better understanding of why the Escrow Protection did not come in play.

Just be patient a little longer.
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
30 of 32

Hi Setu,

Although Escrow and the oDesk Guarantee do provide protection for freelancers' earnings in the vast majority of cases, there are few situations when reversals may happen. For more information what those cases may be please refer to the article 6.4 of the User Agreement. We will not be able to share any details about particular reasons why Khadezatul's funds were reversed here in the Community for privacy reasons. The oDesk Team is working on resolving the issue and she can find all the details in the messages sent to her through the ticket.

Thank you for understanding.

~ Valeria
Untitled
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS