🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Review about first work on UpWork - *Edited* ...
Page options
2e15457b
Community Member

Review about first work on UpWork - *Edited* company

Hey,

Just wrapped up my first gig on Upwork with **Edited for Community Guidelines**, and it was a solid experience all around. The team was great to work with, and the projects were challenging in a good way.

However, one thing that got under my skin was the Upwork fee. Losing 10% of my hard-earned $1000, which translates to $100, felt like a bit much. It's a hefty chunk, and when you add Upwork's not-so-great currency conversion to BRL, it became a real pain.

Despite the fee hassle, the overall experience was positive. But, it did play a role in my decision to explore other platforms for my freelancing gigs. Hoping the next one comes with fewer deductions and maybe even better opportunities for reviews!

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
the-right-writer
Community Member

Every good platform charges. I would gladly pay more if Upwork would reinstate all the rules, limits, and tests that were just "too difficult" for many freelancers, but made the platform stable and much safer, while it was possible to find legitimate jobs.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
feed_my_eyes
Community Member

Experienced freelancers incorporate Upwork's fees into the rates that we charge, as we do with every other business expense. All of the other platforms charge fees in one form or another, and it's pretty unrealistic to think that you can run a successful business without incurring any marketing costs.

Well, I just think it's overpriced. 

grimesr
Community Member

So  how much do you think you should pay for having to a marketing platform, payment processing, conflict resolution,  and community support?

2e15457b
Community Member

Like before, where they charged 5% or up based on how much you were making, cause I would apply for the 5% rule. Then they changed it. 

Things weren't that much better. Upwork used to charge 20% on jobs until you had earned 500 dollars with the same client.

the-right-writer
Community Member

Every good platform charges. I would gladly pay more if Upwork would reinstate all the rules, limits, and tests that were just "too difficult" for many freelancers, but made the platform stable and much safer, while it was possible to find legitimate jobs.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members