🐈 Community
jbampton

Review my profile - Please sir I want some more....ideas

I am requesting a profile review....

You thoughts and ideas will be presented to a think tank in a brainstorming session to determine if they are valid money making ideas.

New Years Eve profile review special....

8 REPLIES 8
lysis10

You should ROT13 your whole profile.

computerhxr

Raise your rates.  

Just add some punctuation maybe (in red here) : "...Or you could hire me ( add  -)  a 10Xer (add  -)  someone that's done all that... At my real job, I am working on a large California- based software project ..... In large government organisations or large corporations, document publishing is big businesses..."  I am not an editor/writer, but I 'd add this.

Anonymous User
Not applicable
This widget could not be displayed.

@John B wrote:

I am requesting a profile review....

You thoughts and ideas will be presented to a think tank in a brainstorming session to determine if they are valid money making ideas.

New Years Eve profile review special....

I am not a Sir. Woman Wink However, here my advice: "A picture says more than a thousand words"... You already acquired a lot of jobs but could me more successful with a more favorable picture. At the moment you look a bit ominous. With a another photo that is not mirror-inverted, without the outdated Odesk t-shirt and looking slightly more friendly you will attract even more clients.

@Margarete M wrote:
I am not a Sir. Woman Wink However, here my advice: "A picture says more than a thousand words"... You already acquired a lot of jobs but could me more successful with a more favorable picture. At the moment you look a bit ominous. With a another photo that is not mirror-inverted, without the outdated Odesk t-shirt and looking slightly more friendly you will attract even more clients.

I think that's intentional.  It's obvious he's a pretty serious gamer.  My guess is that he's trying to attract other gamers with 1337 speak.  

From a marketing perspective, he's got it all backwards.  It doesn't matter because he's good and clients have to deal with the fact that most programmers are nerds and gamers.  It's a power move.

I will agree with you.  His image and profile give an impression that I wouldn't want for myself.  Laundry lists of skills is like tossing a huge ineffective net.  Talking about programming games like clients know what they are.  Showing gaming keyboards and lots of distractions makes it look like he's probably watching TV and chatting on IRC, playing video games, AND working on their project all at the same time.  Pictures of junk food aren’t an effective sales tool for his portfolio.

Being a developer myself; I could list tons of programming languages.  I could list MS Office, and most of the Adobe suite.  I don't want to set expectations like that.  I create my profile to attract the jobs that I want.  He's doing the same thing but he wants to master lots more languages than I would care to.

From his perspective, clients are a dime a dozen so why not be himself?  If he was serious about making more money, I'm sure that he could make changes in his life to make it happen.  You have to be true to yourself or you lose your identity.  I respect that. 

Just learn C and C++ and then you know all the other languages except VB but VB is a terrible language.

I believe that a contractor optimizes his earnings potential when his profile photo appropriately matches the jobs he is trying to get hired for.

John's photo would be disastrous if he was a business proposal writer or an accountant.

I think his photo is pure gold perfect for who he is and what he is marketing as an Upwork contractor. His photo gives him an advantage over his competitors on a subconcious level in the minds of potential clients.

I hope we can soon put colors in our text. My whole profile will be in pink.

Learning Paths