cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revisions

Hakan H Member Since: Sep 8, 2015
1 of 14

Hi all, I have a translation job where I submitted the work 9 days ago. I had various comments added to the file for clarity. The client came back 2 days later with a revision request, but it was actually comments he had also added to the file. So, there was nothing really to revise. So after getting back to him regarding the comments, I re-submitted the request for approval. He again came back yesterday saying he's very busy but will get back to me soon and once again marked the task with a revision request.

So it's been over 9 days since my first request for approval. For how long can a client keep marking a job with a revision request. If he does nothing the freelancer automatically gets approval for the milestone in 2 weeks. But this way the client can keep marking the job with a revision request? How does that work? Thanks!

Community Guru
Jennifer D Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
2 of 14

Good question. It's very sneaky of the client to "request revisions" when there aren't actually any revisions required and they just want to prevent the funds in escrow from being released. I'm not sure what you can do about this but I'm interested to hear what protections there are against this sort of behavior.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
3 of 14

Hakan... let's say your client's name is "Frank"...

"Frank,
I apologize if there was any confusion about the contract. I work on both fixed-price and hourly contracts. With fixed-price contracts, I submit the work finished, as described in the original agreement. You are welcome to release payment and obtain ownership of the translation, to use however you like. Or you are welcome to pay nothing and close the contract, and I can retain ownership of the work. But I don't actually offer revisions unless they are part of a separate contract or an hourly contract."

Ace Contributor
Manveen M Member Since: Jul 10, 2019
4 of 14

Hi,
I'm going to piggy back on this post and seek clarification. I've submitted my work file to the client the countdown to payment began 2 days ago. The client did ask for revisions which I have agreeed to.
Now she's gone on to 'request changes in the milestone.'

My questions here:

a) Are clients usually entitled to revisions if it's not specifially mentioned in the contract?
b) Should I adjust the milestone? (I'm willing to do the changes for free since I'm very new to upwork and could definitely do with good feedback!)
c) If I do adjust the milestone, does it mean it's another 14 day waiting period?

I'd really, really appreciate any help. This is a huge project and I don't want a bad talk on it. 

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
5 of 14

Manveen M wrote:

My questions here:

a) Are clients usually entitled to revisions if it's not specifially mentioned in the contract?
b) Should I adjust the milestone? (I'm willing to do the changes for free since I'm very new to upwork and could definitely do with good feedback!)
c) If I do adjust the milestone, does it mean it's another 14 day waiting period?

a) The "request changes" function is there to correct things that aren't as discussed, such as mistakes, errors, poor quality.

As an example, If I am hired to translate a file from Italian to English and I translate it to German (this actually happened to me LOL) - the client can ask for changes to get the language he wanted.

However, if I translated the file from Italian to English and the client changes their mind and wants it in German, then that's a new milestone, not a "request changes" thing.

Most of the time it will be more subtle than that and open to a degree of interpretation, and a bit of give and take as well. I am happy to accommodate a client asking nicely to make some minor adjustments that become necessary due to changes their end. Usually, clients say "Could you let me know how much that'll be extra?" and I'll say "Don't worry about it, here are your changes, didn't take long!" 

b) Are the changes minor and reasonable? A small percentage of what you stand to gain? In that case, I'd probably just do it.

c) you can't really adjust the milestone unilaterally.

Tiff and Preston, you are necro-posting. Jutta's post was from 2016 Smiley Wink

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
6 of 14

Hi Hakan,

You noted correctly that Escrow funds will be released 14 days after the last Milestone submission, if the client doesn't approve the release beforehand. In case a client requests changes that freelancer doesn't agree with, the freelancer can initiate a dispute for the Escrow funds.

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
7 of 14

They can do it endlesslly but someone waiting 9 days for a revision kinda sucks. It sounds like you'll be waiting the full 14 days, which I have to do at least once a month with people. 

Hakan H Member Since: Sep 8, 2015
8 of 14

@Jennifer M wrote:

They can do it endlesslly but someone waiting 9 days for a revision kinda sucks. It sounds like you'll be waiting the full 14 days, which I have to do at least once a month with people. 

Hi Jennifer. I wouldn't mind waiting 14 days in total, but since I have had to send it for approval 3 times now, I am guessing the 14 days starts from the last time I sent it for approval and will get interrupted if sent for revision again. Furthermore, I wouldn't mind if there were actual revisions needing to be done or requested.

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
9 of 14

3 times? Yeah that's pretty Richard. They can do it though. I had someone do it every day for 5 weeks. Smiley Happy

He's the only one I've recently had to curb stomp, but I would tell him "I don't do endless revisions, so this is the final one." on each section after he went to 3. He would passive aggressively send me notes like "we talked about this" after I told him to be specific about marking the draft, so I'd send it back and tell him that's not specific and he'd tell me it didn't count as a revision. lol Man that was hell that I'm glad I'm done with.

So, if he does it again, time to put your foot down.

Community Guru
Jutta B Member Since: Jun 7, 2016
10 of 14

So do I understand that correctly that a client can ask for revisions limitlessly ( is that a word or did I just invent it) and every time they ask the 14 days start again after re submission?

" The bond with a true dog is as lasting as the ties of this earth will ever be "
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS