cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reward your longterm freelancers, Upwork.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Carl B Member Since: Jan 19, 2015
1 of 51
I am sure this has been asked or recommended before, but with all of the changes being made in Upworks favor recently, maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea to grandfather in those freelancers who carried over from Elance and Odesk. I am not saying Upwork needs to pay these freelancers a bonus, but more of a prorate, discount or fee reduction as a smooth way to soften the blow with this new connections system, and member cost increase. The reason I am posting this is because I have heard many freelancers are leaving/contemplating leaving Upwork due to these changes. Commitment and long term relationships are what keep most of us afloat, so maybe Upwork should go the extra mile and recognize the long term freelancers in some way to say thank you, therefore keeping as many freelancers as possible.

I am not one of these freelancers who is pondering a time to leave, but I do see the impact the new changes will possibly have if Upwork doesn't make additional changes in these long-term freelancers favor.
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
2 of 51

Freelancers are rewarded for long-term relationships wth clients by receiving a bump in their Job Success Score.

Go here:

Upwork -> Find Work -> My Stats

Screen Shot 2019-05-16 at 6.37.14 AM.png

Community Guru
Jennifer R Member Since: Sep 15, 2017
3 of 51

Preston H wrote:

Freelancers are rewarded for long-term relationships wth clients by receiving a bump in their Job Success Score.

Go here:

Upwork -> Find Work -> My Stats

Screen Shot 2019-05-16 at 6.37.14 AM.png

Preston,

he is referring to his long relationship with Upwork not his clients.

Ace Contributor
4 of 51

I understand the long-term client percentage score, but my statement is geared more towards the long-term freelancers. That stat % doesn't necessarily come by as a reward, or pro-rate. Upwork is making increased changes that will impact us all, and in the large garnd scheme of it all, Upwork will make more money because of us, the freelancers and clients. My suggestion is merely to counter that increase with a "thank you" to the committed old-school freelancers.

Community Guru
5 of 51

Carl B wrote:
I am sure this has been asked or recommended before, but with all of the changes being made in Upworks favor recently, maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea to grandfather in those freelancers who carried over from Elance and Odesk. I am not saying Upwork needs to pay these freelancers a bonus, but more of a prorate, discount or fee reduction as a smooth way to soften the blow with this new connections system, and member cost increase. The reason I am posting this is because I have heard many freelancers are leaving/contemplating leaving Upwork due to these changes. Commitment and long term relationships are what keep most of us afloat, so maybe Upwork should go the extra mile and recognize the long term freelancers in some way to say thank you, therefore keeping as many freelancers as possible.

I am not one of these freelancers who is pondering a time to leave, but I do see the impact the new changes will possibly have if Upwork doesn't make additional changes in these long-term freelancers favor.

You are top-rated so you get your 60 extra connects.

Ace Contributor
6 of 51

You are correct, but my point with this is the timing of it all...this month we see the monthly increase, all of us. Why not counter that, with a positive, to a small percentage of Upworks long-term freelance community.

Receiving extra connects is a plus, yet I earned it over the years. It is appreciated, but does not guarantee additional income. Maybe increase the amount of bid connections to a higher number? That would be sufficient just because of the low 10% return statistic I have kept up with since working on here. For every 10 projects I bid on, I have receive 1-2 responses, and half of the time I get hired. That is using up 20 connections for a possible 1 job. Again, that is the average number I have kept up with.

Community Guru
7 of 51

Carl B wrote:

You are correct, but my point with this is the timing of it all...this month we see the monthly increase, all of us. Why not counter that, with a positive, to a small percentage of Upworks long-term freelance community.

Receiving extra connects is a plus, yet I earned it over the years. It is appreciated, but does not guarantee additional income. Maybe increase the amount of bid connections to a higher number? That would be sufficient just because of the low 10% return statistic I have kept up with since working on here. For every 10 projects I bid on, I have receive 1-2 responses, and half of the time I get hired. That is using up 20 connections for a possible 1 job. Again, that is the average number I have kept up with.

I think it is like the Parable of the Workers in the Vineyard. Some only started a few months ago and are top-rated, some have been for years.

Community Guru
Christine A Member Since: May 4, 2016
8 of 51

Jennifer R wrote:

I think it is like the Parable of the Workers in the Vineyard. Some only started a few months ago and are top-rated, some have been for years.

Oooh, responding to questions with biblical references! I like it! :-)

I think that rewarding long-term freelancers - while it would be a nice gesture - would probably be more hassle than it's worth. How many years would it take to qualify? Wherever you decide the cut-off point is, the people who narrowly miss the mark are going to be very unhappy. And what about freelancers who have been here a long time, but aren't very successful? I doubt that Upwork wants to reward them (they want to get rid of them, like Petra says). So that's why the "reward" of 60 bonus connects is just being offered to Top-Rated freelancers; it makes sense to me.

Ace Contributor
9 of 51

Long-term freelancers meaning only the ones from oDesk and Elance, who are currently still actively working on Upwork. 2015 before Upwork was revealed is the cut off. Who said Upwork had to announce anything to anyone other than that small percentage of freelancers. It can be exclusive. This is more of a PR move on Upworks behalf, but to its loyal and committed freelancers.

Community Guru
Christine A Member Since: May 4, 2016
10 of 51

Carl B wrote:

Long-term freelancers meaning only the ones from oDesk and Elance, who are currently still actively working on Upwork. 2015 before Upwork was revealed is the cut off. Who said Upwork had to announce anything to anyone other than that small percentage of freelancers. It can be exclusive. This is more of a PR move on Upworks behalf, but to its loyal and committed freelancers.

If it's everyone from Elance and oDesk, then that's a LOT of people. The new policy isn't going to have much of an impact if it only affects newer freelancers. In any case, anyone who's still active on the platform after all this time isn't doing it out of loyalty, they're doing it because they're making money. Success is its own reward.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS