cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reward your longterm freelancers, Upwork.

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
11 of 51

Carl B wrote:

Who said Upwork had to announce anything to anyone other than that small percentage of freelancers. It can be exclusive. This is more of a PR move on Upworks behalf, but to its loyal and committed freelancers.

LOL, PR moves can not be secret. That is mutually exclusive.

You're second one this week who wants Upwork to invent some fancy extra which just happens to fit their own profile....

Ace Contributor
Carl B Member Since: Jan 19, 2015
12 of 51
Upwork invented a new fancy "let's raise the monthly membership fees to our freelancers and clients", so Upwork can invent something to those of us who have adapted with all of the changes over the years that have been in Upworks better interest. Of course I am one of the old school freelancers.

A mere suggestion that is in favor of the freelancer during this big change has received nothing but alternate suggestions from Upwork gurus that are in Upworks' favor.
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
13 of 51

Freelancers and their handouts. I mean really people. What kind of handout is this one looking for now? I don't care about the stupid connect charges. It's insignificant compared to what i can make here, so what exactly are you looking for OP?

I make good money. Upwork continually throws opportunities my way. What on earth more would you want? They leave me alone. I make money and live a really nice life and have the lifestyle I always wanted. I hope that never changes. But i don't pretend it's anything more than they make money off of me so that's why they throw me work and leave me alone. There is so much opportunity here and you people can only cry about your handouts and the measely $5/month you'll have to dish out to make thousands in return.

Ace Contributor
14 of 51

Maybe I should've been an engineer.

Ace Contributor
15 of 51

No crying here. $5 for me is nothing, but on a mass total level, that is a large increase.

Community Guru
Christine A Member Since: May 4, 2016
16 of 51

Carl B wrote:

A mere suggestion that is in favor of the freelancer during this big change has received nothing but alternate suggestions from Upwork gurus that are in Upworks' favor.

Well, unfortunately that's the risk you run by posting something in a public forum - people aren't necessarily going to agree with you, and they're entitled to their own opinions. You're the second person in recent days who has posted something like, "I think Upwork should do this or that, doesn't everyone agree with me?" and then get annoyed when nobody does.

Ace Contributor
17 of 51

I'm not annoyed from the outcome of the thread. I know better. I am more smirking at the overall bashing of the idea as if I were ready to leave Upwork and demanded money to keep working on here. The 5 or 6 of you combined turned this suggestion into a "another freelancer looking for a free handout". which is not at all what I was stating should happen.

All good though. I will continue to work on Upwork as long as it is productive and profitable. I will take the free extra connections, escrow protection, top-rated program and hourly gurantee and be happy.

Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
18 of 51

Carl B wrote:

For every 10 projects I bid on, I have receive 1-2 responses, and half of the time I get hired. That is using up 20 connections for a possible 1 job. Again, that is the average number I have kept up with.

The connects will cost 15 cents each. If you spend 20 connects on average to land a job, this is an investment of $3 per job. If you earn on average $4 for any job that you land, Upwork doesn't cost you anything.

And you probably earn more per job 😀

If this new connect pricing system gets rid of the lowballers, which is what Upwork hopes to achieve, this may mean more business for you.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Ace Contributor
19 of 51

Yes, Upwork doesn't necessarily make any money on the connection costs, which is not my focus with this. Premium Membership costs are going up $5 per freelancer, and I can assume client costs are going up too. Along with that increase, Upwork makes 13.6% off of my projects over $500 and under $10K, which is almost all of them. That is a lot of money from just me.

Maybe reward long-term freelancers, still in good standings with Upwork, by only taking a flat 10% fee up to $10K total earnings? Don't take that gargantuan 20% chunk in the beginning as a way to pat us on the head and say thank you for your commitment over the years. That could also increase the volume of work the freelancers will take on, therefore possibly increasing even more revenue for Upwork.

Community Guru
Christine A Member Since: May 4, 2016
20 of 51

Carl B wrote:

Yes, Upwork doesn't necessarily make any money on the connection costs, which is not my focus with this.

Along with that increase, Upwork makes 13.6% off of my projects over $500 and under $10K, which is almost all of them. That is a lot of money from just me.

If Upwork is charging everyone for connects now, you can bet that they'll be making more money from them. That - plus their alleged motive of wanting to cut down on the number of spam bids - is the whole reason for the change. 

And how do you figure that Upwork takes a 13.6% service charge from you? It's a 10% rate between $500-1,000. Any extra that you're being charged is probably due to local tax laws - Upwork doesn't get to keep this money.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS