Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Ridiculous notice from UpWork

bookcoverdesign
Community Leader
Gary Val T Member Since: Mar 28, 2018
1 of 18

I just received this ridiculous notice from UpWork:

We noticed you haven’t been working through Upwork lately.

To improve client’s search results and show them more freelancers who are available, we’ve changed your profile to "private" until you’re ready to start taking on new projects.

Here are three ways to switch your profile back to "public":
  • Resume earning through Upwork. Apply to projects and start getting paid.
  • Sign up for a Freelancer Plus membership. Keep your profile public when you aren’t regularly earning.
  • Contact customer service. Keep your profile public by earning on Upwork within 30 days.

What's ridiculous about it is... well, pretty much everything. Let's start with the first sentence: "We noticed you haven't been working through Upwork lately."

Duh! It's not that I haven't tried. It's because I haven't been selected for any of the dozens of jobs I've applied for. Pretty hard to be "working" when you're not getting any "work". If they had bothered to check my connects they'd see that I only have 2 left. Now where do you suppose all those connects went? Did they just mysteriously disappear? No! I used them to apply for work!  

Let's move on to the next sentence:

"To improve client's search results and show them more freelancers who are available, we've changed your profile to "private" until you're ready to take on new projects."

Ready to take on new projects??? **Edited for Community Guidelines** are they talking about??? I am ready to take on new projects! I've been ready to take on new projects from day one. I only have 2 (TWO!) connects left this month. If I see a job listing that looks like something I can do then I'll use them!

And their "three ways to switch your profile back to public" are priceless:

"Apply to projects and start getting paid." ROFL! Here's a news flash for the rocket scientists who sent this notification: If I apply for projects but don't get hired then I can't get paid! Duh!

"Sign up for a Freelancer Plus membership" Ah! Is that what this is really about? Are they just trying to some money out of me because they're not getting their unconscionably high percentage commission due to the fact that I'm not getting any work? 

"Keep your profile public by earning on UpWork within 30 days." LOL! News Flash (again!)... We can only earn if we get hired for the projects that we apply for. If we don't get hired, we don't earn! How difficult is it to comprehend that simple fact???

I'm shaking my head in utter disbelief right now. I can only think of two reasons why someone in the UpWork administration sent me this notice: (1) They must have been looking at someone else's account or **Edited for Community Guidelines** If this was April 1st I would consider the possibility that it was an April Fools prank. But, since that's not the case then I'm left with those other two explanations. If there is, in fact, some other reasonable explanation... please do tell. Thank you.

mtngigi
Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
2 of 18

@Gary Val T wrote:

I just received this ridiculous notice from UpWork:

We noticed you haven’t been working through Upwork lately.

To improve client’s search results and show them more freelancers who are available, we’ve changed your profile to "private" until you’re ready to start taking on new projects.

Here are three ways to switch your profile back to "public":
  • Resume earning through Upwork. Apply to projects and start getting paid.
  • Sign up for a Freelancer Plus membership. Keep your profile public when you aren’t regularly earning.
  • Contact customer service. Keep your profile public by earning on Upwork within 30 days.

What's ridiculous about it is... well, pretty much everything. Let's start with the first sentence: "We noticed you haven't been working through Upwork lately."

Duh! It's not that I haven't tried. It's because I haven't been selected for any of the dozens of jobs I've applied for. Pretty hard to be "working" when you're not getting any "work". If they had bothered to check my connects they'd see that I only have 2 left. Now where do you suppose all those connects went? Did they just mysteriously disappear? No! I used them to apply for work!  

Let's move on to the next sentence:

"To improve client's search results and show them more freelancers who are available, we've changed your profile to "private" until you're ready to take on new projects."

Ready to take on new projects??? WTF are they talking about??? I am ready to take on new projects! I've been ready to take on new projects from day one. I only have 2 (TWO!) connects left this month. If I see a job listing that looks like something I can do then I'll use them!

And their "three ways to switch your profile back to public" are priceless:

"Apply to projects and start getting paid." ROFL! Here's a news flash for the rocket scientists who sent this notification: If I apply for projects but don't get hired then I can't get paid! Duh!

"Sign up for a Freelancer Plus membership" Ah! Is that what this is really about? Are they just trying to some money out of me because they're not getting their unconscionably high percentage commission due to the fact that I'm not getting any work? 

"Keep your profile public by earning on UpWork within 30 days." LOL! News Flash (again!)... We can only earn if we get hired for the projects that we apply for. If we don't get hired, we don't earn! How difficult is it to comprehend that simple fact???

I'm shaking my head in utter disbelief right now. I can only think of two reasons why someone in the UpWork administration sent me this notice: (1) They must have been looking at someone else's account or (2) who ever sent the notice is tripping on some sort of halucinogenic substance. If this was April 1st I would consider the possibility that it was an April Fools prank. But, since that's not the case then I'm left with those other two explanations. If there is, in fact, some other reasonable explanation... please do tell. Thank you.

It's a very poorly-written directive that was put into place a while back, which I've recently received as well. They send it to you if you haven't "earned" anything in 30 days. Even if you're working a job, if you haven't been paid in 30 days, you'll get this notice.

Do a search on the forums and you'll find many threads on the matter.

ETA: Here is the official announcement: https://community.upwork.com/t5/Announcements/Showing-Active-Earners-in-Search-Results/m-p/351243#M2...

madison-russell
Community Leader
Madison R Member Since: May 19, 2018
3 of 18

My profile has been set to private a couple times due to not being paid in the last 30 days (even when I've been working). The good news about it at least is that you can still send proposals and clients can still view those proposals, you just won't receive any unsolicited invites to jobs (which is sometimes a blessing, to be honest). 

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
4 of 18

Hmmm .... No offense, but what is up with "I am working on a job, but I haven't been paid in the last thirty days"?

That is a long time to be working without getting paid.

The way I see it is this: If I am actively working on an hourly contract, I'm getting paid each week.

If I'm doing fixed-price work, I should do the same. If a project will take a month, then I would break it down into smaller tasks so this I can get paid each week.

mtngigi
Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
5 of 18

@Preston H wrote:

Hmmm .... No offense, but what is up with "I am working on a job, but I haven't been paid in the last thirty days"?

The way I see it is this: If I am actively working on an hourly contract, I'm getting paid each week.

If I'm doing fixed-price work, I should do the same. If a project will take a month, then I would break it down into smaller tasks so this I can get paid each week.

C'mon Preston. Fixed rate + 14 days + plus unforseen circurmstances/revisions/unresponsive clients + 5 days security hold, etc. It hardly ever (never) happens, but it can. Which is why most of us voted that a 45 day period would be more realistic and fair. We all work differently.

The point is ... Upwork should use one of the many good writers here to rewrite the notice they send out. I really don't care when I get sent to detention, I just wish the notice wasn't so bleeping stupidly-written.

colettelewis
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
6 of 18

@Virginia F wrote:

@Preston H wrote:

C'mon Preston. Fixed rate + 14 days + plus unforseen circurmstances/revisions/unresponsive clients + 5 days security hold, etc. It hardly ever (never) happens, but it can. Which is why most of us voted that a 45 day period would be more realistic and fair. We all work differently.

The point is ... Upwork should use one of the many good writers here to rewrite the notice they send out. I really don't care when I get sent to detention, I just wish the notice wasn't so bleeping stupidly-written.

+ 100 kudos and more if I could. 

g_vasilevski
Goran V Moderator Member Since: Mar 24, 2017
7 of 18

Hi All,

I understand your frustration and this program was implemented for the whole marketplace. We understand that there's always exceptions from any policies and that is why we are also providing support for each individual case. While the profile is changed to private the clients will still be able to view the proposals that they are receiving, freelancers are only hidden from search results. Additionally, we also have 2 free options to change the visibility back to public:

1. Contact us here or Customer support to change the visibility to public.
  2. Earn funds on any contract and the visibility will be changed to public.

Untitled
bookcoverdesign
Community Leader
Gary Val T Member Since: Mar 28, 2018
8 of 18

As I told Jo-An, the problem isn't the fact that UpWork switches accounts from Public to Private. The problem is that they're basing the decision to do so on the wrong criteron. It should be based on a lack of "Activity" for a given amount of time (say 30 days, for example), not on "Earnings". That way UpWork accomplishes its intended goal without causing the problem that I, and many others, have encountered.

Best regards,

Gary

g_vasilevski
Goran V Moderator Member Since: Mar 24, 2017
9 of 18

Hi Gary,

Thank you for your feedback, I will share this with our product managers.

Untitled
versailles
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
10 of 18

@Gary Val T wrote:

That way UpWork accomplishes its intended goal

Gary, their intended goal may be very different from what you think it is. This initiative has another purpose which is to try to detect circumvention. When you're not making money through the platform it can be because you're not making money, or because you are making money but getting paid off-platform.

You can ask them to make your account visible again anytime. It's then a good opportunity for them to look into your account and your clients' accounts real quick...

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS