Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ridiculously vague job descriptions

Highlighted
Community Leader
Gary Val T Member Since: Mar 28, 2018
1 of 17

Does UpWork advise clients to be as detailed as possible in their job descriptions? That should be a requirement so freelancers don't have to waste connect points just find out what the job is really about. Easily 75% of the jobs I see listed here are so vague there's no way to know if it's something I can do or if I even want to do it. But it will cost me precious connect points to find out.  

An incentive for clients to offer as much detail as possible would be to tell them it will encourage more freelancers to apply for the job, thus increasing the client's chances of finding the best freelancer for the project. Otherwise, if the job description lacks pertinent details, freelancers who might be a good fit for the job are likely to just scroll on past the job rather than waste their connect points.

Highlighted
Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
2 of 17

Hi Gary,

Thank you for sharing your observation and feedback. I agree that a more detailed job description does help attract freelancers with related experience and skill set, and while we do advise clients to include as much details as possible, note that experienced freelancers have confirmed some of their long-term clients have originated from proposals they've submitted on jobs that didn't include a detailed job description.

Highlighted
Community Leader
Matthew M Member Since: May 22, 2013
3 of 17

Vladimir, is there any way the coders could put a threshold with a minimum number of words required in the job description? As a writer, there is nothing more frustrating than seeing a job listing that reads only. "I need my website content rewritten." Inevitably, these are the same jobs that have the stock questions following immediately that makes all our hearts sink:

- Which part of this job are you most experienced in?

- Which part of this job will take the most time?

- What most attracted you to this job?

Highlighted
Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
4 of 17

Hi Matthew,

Thank you for the suggestion. While I'll share your feedback with the team, I can note that imposing similar limitation on job posts like the one you mentioned is not on our immediate road map.

Speaking from a personal perspective, I can see how requiring a certain number of characters wouldn't necessarily result in a quality and throughout job description. 

Highlighted
Community Leader
5 of 17

No, but it would mean clients are forced to put in a bit more detail than they already do. It'll help freelancers - to know whether a job is suitable based on our experience and knowledge set; it'll also help clients to ensure they get a better quality of freelancer applying for their jobs and far fewer generic answers.

Either that, or we all try to develop telepathy skills. I know which is easier Smiley Wink

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
6 of 17

Matthew:

What you don't seem to understand is that those job posts are not meant for you.

Freelancers who specialize in working with these kinds of clients take these jobs and provide them the service they need.

Writing quality job postings is a skill. It also requires a certain level of organization and awareness of the freelancer experience that some clients simply don't possess. But those clients do have money to spend, and they will pay that money to the freelancers who are able to communicate with them in a way they understand and walk them through the process.

Highlighted
Community Leader
7 of 17

Precisely where did I say that I applied for them? I don't. They're not worth my time so I pass them by. I'd rather work with clients who are clear about their needs so I can be clear about the service I will deliver to them. Upwork welcomes views from long-term users to make the experience easier for everyone else, that's why this community is here - amongst other thngs.

And is there any need to be so damned confrontational over such a simple suggestion?

Highlighted
Catharine G Member Since: May 14, 2019
8 of 17

No. I've applied to some of these vague postings. Inevitably they do have detailed requirements, which they announce *after* I've applied. Clients who can't write clear job posts also have trouble communicating with the people they hire. 

I don't know where you're coming from with "Freelancers who specialize in working with these kinds of clients take these jobs and provide them the service they need." I have no idea what you mean by "these kinds of clients." Your posting was dismissive and frankly insulting to the OP. 

Highlighted
Catharine G Member Since: May 14, 2019
9 of 17

Right ... and some of these experienced freelancers began their relationships back when Upwork didn't charge connect points. It's gotten to where you can easily spend $20-30 to snag one job. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Pandora H Member Since: May 11, 2010
10 of 17

@Gary Val T wrote:

Does UpWork advise clients to be as detailed as possible in their job descriptions? That should be a requirement so freelancers don't have to waste connect points just find out what the job is really about. 

<snip>

<snip>

Otherwise, if the job description lacks pertinent details, freelancers who might be a good fit for the job are likely to just scroll on past the job rather than waste their connect points.

Yes, Upwork does (in many different mediums and ways) tell clients that detailed job descriptions are better. There is no need (but maybe you did not know that) to ask for this to happen. The Upwork Forum mods have heard this request hundreds of times (yes, really, hundreds).

That should tell you something right there.  And Preston's comment is spot on. If you don't want those jobs, then ignore them. Finally, Preston was not being confrontational. Just stating the facts. Many clients do indeed have neither the skill nore the time to create a detailed job post.

In my line of work, a detailed job post is necessary. But on any given day, out of 20 job posts that are in my niche, only 3-4 are sufficently detailed. It's frustrating, but this is how UPwork functions, so I know to just move on. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS