Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rising Talent with Zero Runway

Highlighted
Community Guru
Scott B Member Since: Nov 20, 2015
1 of 15

I very recently came over from the Elance platform.  Six days ago I was given the "Rising Talent" moniker.  Thanks I say as it cannot hurt.  However, six days later I get an email saying I no longer qualify.  There are 4 things the email explains that one needs to maintain:

1/ 100% complete profile

2/ Up to date availability

3/ No recent account holds

4/ Consistent delivery for clients

1-3 above I clearly continue to meet.  I assume the answer then is #4.  While I still maintain a 5-star rating from all clients I've had, I have not been very successful in finding new clients on this platform.  It's not for lack of trying or putting in proposals.  Additionally, I still have an Elance client who is paying me hourly and that contract is continuing albeit over the on Elance platform. 

So I guess my question is why so little runway?  Even though I have an existing client on an owned platform (Elance) one gets less than a week to amass new clients here or they get pulled from the program?  I thought at worst this might be month to month, but week to week and when one just gets on the platform?  Now i am not sure "rising talent" has much meaning outside of the one-time bonus connects.  Obviously it hasn't gotten me any quick looks but still give someone a chance.  Heck, I am waiting longer to get paid on an hourly contract I did here on UW than I've been able to stay in this program!  Not very welcoming guys.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
2 of 15

This was posted exactly two weeks ago by someone else. The guess was that JSS was calculated on Sat and displayed on Sunday. The recent stats snafu also seems to confirm this. And, the poster who had the problem 2 weeks ago did indeed drop to below 90% after the JSS update. So, I would say do the same and wait until tomorrow. Chances are that your JSS is below 90%.

Highlighted
Community Guru
3 of 15

I don't yet have a JSS.  I am apparently still on my way to earning one.  Also what would pull it down in this case, the lack of finding new jobs? 

Highlighted
Community Guru
4 of 15

Actually, even if I had a JSS that cannot be the reason.  I just found on the site the following formula for JSS:

(successful contract outcomes - negative contract outcomes) / total outcomes

All past clients have given me 5-stars.  With my current client we are still in the middle of an hourly contract so no review is yet even possible.  Even if it were, we have a truly excellent relationship.  

Again even if I had a JSS the formula above would result in no change. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
5 of 15

OK, maybe it's another reason then. I guess you'll find out tomorrow if they fix the stats issue. Maybe the bug is what triggered the removal, so you'll get it back once they fix it.

"I think Jennifer refers to the Top Rated badge."

No, definitely the Rising Talent. There is a thread exactly 2 weeks ago on the Saturday before the update where the same question was asked. The following day, her JSS was below 90%.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Darrin O Member Since: Jan 20, 2015
6 of 15

@Scott B wrote:

Actually, even if I had a JSS that cannot be the reason.

All past clients have given me 5-stars.

Ha ha ha ha ha!  You doe-eyed Elancers are just adorable.

Anyways, what has been said is true.  You clearly have 4 jobs that have ratings, so you should be getting a JSS tomorrow.  It might be good, it might be bad, but count on it being bad.

Highlighted
Community Guru
7 of 15

" Ha ha ha ha ha!  You doe-eyed Elancers are just adorable."

LOL We're like Bambi and then the JSS comes and kills our mom and the dad is left to tell us that "Yeah, ummm, good luck with life."

Highlighted
Community Guru
8 of 15

Darrin, I assume if it is bad the formula they give for how it is calculated is pure BS.  Based on the given reviews of my work it cannot mathmatically be bad unless, as I said, UW doesn't use that formula or uses new math.  I guess we'll see.... 

Highlighted
Community Leader
Sebastian N Member Since: Sep 22, 2015
9 of 15

The whole Rising Talent thing seems rather buggy. When I got mine, 24 hours later I lost it already just to then get it back the day after. Not sure what was causing it because nothing on my part changed other than that I set my availability from more than 30/hours week to as needed back then.

Then a few days later I got my JSS. As soon as you get your JSS, you won't be a rising talent anymore and looking at your profile, you will probably get it soon. 

I think Jennifer refers to the Top Rated badge.

Highlighted
Community Guru
10 of 15

Thanks Sebastian and Jennifer.  I guess I'll wait to see if this is indeed another bug within the platform.  You are also probably correct Sebastian about the JSS coming soon and losing the badge anyway.  Probably doesn't really matter.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS