Reply
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply

Rising Talent !!

odrissho
Community Guru
MD Shahadat H Member Since: Dec 7, 2015
11 of 33

I do understand your speech that without job history a Freenlancer can be a rising talent. But there were something more in this article. I am mentioning you as a point :

 

1. Rising Talent freelancers have strong backgrounds in their fields and have demonstrated early success with their clients on Upwork. ( At the start of the article as a Program Eligibilty, it's saying that a freelancer need strong background as well as need to demonstrated early success to become a rising talent. But you are saying only about strong background like profile, skills.)

 

2. Complete your projects on time and as promised ( bullets no. 6 as Program Eligibilty, )

 

Can you make clear those things....@ valeria

chris_macartwork
Community Guru
Chris M Member Since: May 6, 2015
12 of 33

@Valeria K wrote:

Hi MD. Shahadat,

 

If a freelancer's profile indicates that they have great skills and services to offer, they have been submitting complete and thoughtful proposals to projects relevant to their skill set, and they have complied with the Terms of Service, they can qualify for the RIsing Talent program even if they haven't completed any jobs yet.


Hi Valeria,

So - who at Upwork decides whether a proposal is thoughtful? and who decides whether the freelancers profile has great skills? Upwork appears to be acting like an employment agency.

 

I joined Upwork believing it was a platform to enable Clients and freelancers to get in touch and agree on contracts - not an employment agency picking out certain freelancers and promoting / featuring them above others.

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
13 of 33

I got a rising talent badge, so obviously the algorithm is on point and identifies the awesome.

screeler
Community Guru
Mariska P Member Since: Apr 27, 2015
14 of 33

@Jennifer M wrote:

I got a rising talent badge, so obviously the algorithm is on point and identifies the awesome.


Although you are awesome Jennifer M., I beg to differ.

 

I'm twice as awesome (only because I'm twice as old - has nothing to do with career, or experience so you win on that count) and I never got a dern rising talent badge. I deserve it just by making it to this age!!! Hey. I have a suggestion for Upwork. They should make an 'Aging Talent' badge!!! Smiley Wink 

 

My life would have been so much different had I wond the R.T. Badge.

I would have been hobknobbing with George (Clooney of course) and Bradgelina, rubbing elbows with the Smiths (Will and fam), and I would have been at every red carpet event photobombing Kevin Hart (not hard, since he's much shorter than I am).

Sigh.

 

But I will never achieve the beautiful rising talent badge, never gossip with Howard (Stern), never get discounts on designer fashion, and never be able to borrow the President's private jet. My opportunity has faded away.

 

I miss my pretend life, but I must trudge on.

*sniff* 

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
15 of 33

I'll tell Clooney to give you a buzz. I'm keeping Brad Pitt though. You can't have him.

screeler
Community Guru
Mariska P Member Since: Apr 27, 2015
16 of 33

 


@Jennifer M wrote:

I'll tell Clooney to give you a buzz. I'm keeping Brad Pitt though. You can't have him.



What THE....

You did not just throw George AND Brad in my face????

 

I'm not even sure what I should say I'm so verklempt over this! 

kulkarni_ashish
Community Guru
Ashish K Member Since: Mar 1, 2016
17 of 33

@Valeria K wrote:

Hi MD. Shahadat,

 

If a freelancer's profile indicates that they have great skills and services to offer, they have been submitting complete and thoughtful proposals to projects relevant to their skill set, and they have complied with the Terms of Service, they can qualify for the RIsing Talent program even if they haven't completed any jobs yet.


Hi Valeria,

 

I find it completely perplexing as to why expertise fit criteria (ie entry level, intermediate, expert) is used to filter freelancers for this badge. First up, no information is provided to freelancers about this programme. Secondly, I see no other way a newcomer with no history can get his first job even if he is an expert. he has to bid for entry level jobs as well.

 

Thirdly, if applying to  wrong expertise jobs is such a negative, why do you allow the proposal to go through?

 

So to sum it up, no information is given to a newcomer, his connects are wasted when applying for entry level jobs even if hes an expert, no warning is given during the application that this may negatively affect certain things. Please englighten!

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
18 of 33

Hi Ashish,

 

Well-written proposals that specifically target the job posting and show that the freelancer has the necessary skills and meets the requirements are very important to get off to a successful start on Upwork. Freelancers can choose to bid to any job on the marketplace, but many freelancers found that they are more successful when they focus on a specific skill and bid for jobs that require that specific skill or a set of skills. New freelancers don't have to start with bidding below their normal rate, they need to bid wisely though.

 

I hope this helps.

~ Valeria
Upwork
kulkarni_ashish
Community Guru
Ashish K Member Since: Mar 1, 2016
19 of 33

@Valeria K wrote:

Hi Ashish,

 

Well-written proposals that specifically target the job posting and show that the freelancer has the necessary skills and meets the requirements are very important to get off to a successful start on Upwork. Freelancers can choose to bid to any job on the marketplace, but many freelancers found that they are more successful when they focus on a specific skill and bid for jobs that require that specific skill or a set of skills. New freelancers don't have to start with bidding below their normal rate, they need to bid wisely though.

 

I hope this helps.


 so to sum it up, if I am an expert and have applied to entry level or intermediate jobs matching my skillset with the best written proposals; I will not get a 'rising talent' badge. is that correct? how about if I get the offer and get a 5 star review and high client recommendation?

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
20 of 33

Ashish,

 

As long as you regularly submit proposals to jobs relevant to your skillset and meet other requirements outlined here, you may qualify for the Rising Talent program regardless of the level of expertise indicated on jobs you apply to.  

~ Valeria
Upwork
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS