Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rising Talents -> Job Success Score(JSS) Process

purplepony
Community Guru
Pat M Member Since: Jun 18, 2016
21 of 27

Nothing is perfect, and Upwork does have it's flaws.  Of course "Rising Talent" and "Top Rated" are great designations.  However, we as Freelancers are not in total control of what occurs with them.  All we can do is our very best; after that "it is what it is."  If it's any consolation, I've found during my over 3 years tenure on oDesk/Upwork that those designations don't appear to be as important as many seem to consider them to be.  When they disappear or decrease (and they will) don't lose sleep over it.

masscheleyn-veer
Ace Contributor
Veerle M Member Since: Jan 31, 2017
22 of 27

Well, Pat M. I don't really agree with your point of view. There's always room for human error, but this works with axioms. As Vladimir G. stated, if certain conditions have been met, then you receive a certain badge, name or whatever. As much as I don't really fancy it all that much, clients rather seem to base themselves on this to hire freelancers. And afterall, Upwork is taking 20% of our pay, so they should deliver a quality service, in the same way as the client expects a professional service from my part. 

It's actually all quite simple. 

purplepony
Community Guru
Pat M Member Since: Jun 18, 2016
23 of 27

Veerle M. stated:

Well, Pat M. I don't really agree with your point of view. There's always room for human error, but this works with axioms. As Vladimir G. stated, if certain conditions have been met, then you receive a certain badge, name or whatever. As much as I don't really fancy it all that much, clients rather seem to base themselves on this to hire freelancers. And afterall, Upwork is taking 20% of our pay, so they should deliver a quality service, in the same way as the client expects a professional service from my part. 

It's actually all quite simple. 

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

Veerle, of course I understand what you're saying.  Perhaps you'd better understand my statement of "it is what it is" after reading 100's if not 1,000's of posts pertaining to this subject.  Bottom line-we're not trees.  If we don't like something, we're always free to move on...

masscheleyn-veer
Ace Contributor
Veerle M Member Since: Jan 31, 2017
24 of 27

I agree with you there Pat M.  we can always move on. But that doesn't necessarily mean improvement for Upwork itself. If it is so often discussed as you've mentioned then it looks like this is a rather persistent problem. Perhaps time then for Upwork to address it. Dealing with errors is after all a lot better than wiping them under the carpet. 

boshoffirene
Community Guru
Irene B Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
25 of 27

What IS this thing about having a badge? It is NOT important, and here is WHY!

1. I never had a rising talent badge. There was no such thing when I joined Upwork.

2. Top Rated? It does not really mean much.....and I am going to tell you why as well!!!!

Now, checking up on me (I know some people will)....you will notice that I do have that top rated badge...HOWEVER>>>a few weeks after the top rated badge came to fruition (and yes I had it), I lost it due to a series of unfortunate events. My JSS plunged from 100 to 79....(YES>>>>79). But you know what? It did not affect my ability to get work...in fact, I got more quality work at that time without the badge than with it! 

Steadily, my JS went up, and yes, it is high once more. But did it affect my getting jobs? Nope. I still did the same thing...and the work still came in.

Yes, some people are awarded the rising talent badge....does that make them great freelancers? Not necessarily, no. Some do not get it. Does this make them bad freelancers? Not necessarily, no. 

The thing is, nobody is entitled to them. They are what they are, and it is what it is. A badge. Nothing else. In the general scheme of things, it is just an ornament. Focus on the green that matters, not the badge.

matrixkavi
Ace Contributor
Kavitha K Member Since: Mar 9, 2017
26 of 27

Hello Irene,

I am not sure why but I am in a situation where I can't apply for almost all new jobs for which my skills match only because the criterion mentions JSS > 90 or Rising Talent status. I lost my rising talent status today and hope that the JSS will be calculated soon. Till the time I get a JSS or get the Rising Talent badge back, I may not be able to apply for more jobs.

yitwail
Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
27 of 27

@Kavitha K wrote:

Hello Irene,

I am not sure why but I am in a situation where I can't apply for almost all new jobs for which my skills match only because the criterion mentions JSS > 90 or Rising Talent status. I lost my rising talent status today and hope that the JSS will be calculated soon. Till the time I get a JSS or get the Rising Talent badge back, I may not be able to apply for more jobs.

Kavitha, this is a common misconception. There's nothing preventing you from applying to a job that specifies 90% JSS. If you do, you may see a warning that you do not meet all the client's requirements, but if you proceed, the client will receive your proposal. You do risk having the client turn down your proposal because of your JSS, but understand that all new jobs by default specify 90% JSS or Rising Talent, so some clilents may not even be aware that they're requiring this.