🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Rising talent program issues
Page options
boanna
Community Member

Rising talent program issues

Dear,

UpWork removed me from Rising Talent based on a comment from a client who is in dispute with me. That client is lying so how can a platform even take such a comment as valid and treat my profile status and rising talent badge as if that was the truth?

Why no one is taking my side here instead decisions are taken based on dishonest feedback from a client who says all kinds of things in order to not pay me?

A client got the work well done and he has no other arguments to dispute than lies. I don't really understand, instead of UpWork protecting me as a freelancer with all excellent reviews and someone who is an expert, UpWork is punishing me for someone's else lies and issues of not paying? I don't get it! How can a review from a client in dispute be even taken as a valid one? How can this platform judge me without me being paid and compensated for work well done? What is wrong with the protection of freelancers from such abuse?

Please, help me solve this issue. It is first not fair, and second not at all valid to take comments from a client who lies.

Thank you community!

7 REPLIES 7
jr-translation
Community Member

Bojana O wrote:

Dear,

UpWork removed me from Rising Talent based on a comment from a client who is in dispute with me. That client is lying so how can a platform even take such a comment as valid and treat my profile status and rising talent badge as if that was the truth?

Why no one is taking my side here instead decisions are taken based on dishonest feedback from a client who says all kinds of things in order to not pay me?

A client got the work well done and he has no other arguments to dispute than lies. I don't really understand, instead of UpWork protecting me as a freelancer with all excellent reviews and someone who is an expert, UpWork is punishing me for someone's else lies and issues of not paying? I don't get it! How can a review from a client in dispute be even taken as a valid one? How can this platform judge me without me being paid and compensated for work well done? What is wrong with the protection of freelancers from such abuse?

Please, help me solve this issue. It is first not fair, and second not at all valid to take comments from a client who lies.

Thank you community!

It might be that will receive your JSS soon.

What you should ask yourself is: Could the client be right? Did I proofread a book in a language other than my native language?

You are a professor? At which institution?

Dear, I have an MA in languages. (the University of Belgrade, Faculty of Philology). During my studies, I have won more than five awards for literary competitions in the English language and the Spanish language. I was the only student from the entire University who represented University on the two international, linguistical conferences (AELO and ELLSAC) with fellow professors from prestigious world universities such as Harvard University and Universidad de Complutense de Madrid. I am awarded by the Royal Academy of Spain.

Yes, I am a professor, and that is a title given by the University of Belgrade, Faculty of Philology. I hold more than 7-plus years of work in international companies worldwide in three languages. (Spanish language, English language, Serbian language). I was an official translator to the Serbian government for foreign delegations as well as for the CIRSD center. I have translated, edited, and proofread speeches for UNSG that were broadcasted live to billions of people. I was a coach to startups in Nordics at the University of Copenhagen, Denmark using the English language. I was a business developer for Sweden, and I have developed businesses internationally, using Serbian, English, and Spanish on a daily bases. I was the best salesperson in the English language in a multi-national enterprise in the Caribbean when I was just 18 years old. I'm an expert in what I do. I did my work well, and there are no doubts about it. The client is not right. Instead of questioning my skills and professionalism, suspect the abuse of workers on this platform, and irregularities from the client. 

What I need is genuine assistance to help me deal with an abusive and manipulative client, not questioning my skills. That doesn't come into question. I have all excellent reviews, not a single negative review or complaint ever, and nothing but the highest satisfaction of my clients so far. The easiest thing is to blame someone and question someone without ever seeing the quality of their work and without really understanding the situation. I will not benefit from blame but justice. I can only ask myself why the platform doesn't do anything to protect me and help me solve an issue but is instead questioning my expertise based on a comment from a client who lies?

I'm very sorry that you doubt my expertise and create an issue where there is no issue. I wouldn't pay membership to a platform that discriminates. I thought that this is a great place to work, where freelancers get protected from abusive clients instead of getting questioned for their expertise. No one ever gave themselves a right to question my education as well as a foreign language proficiency level. Your reply is discrimination; I hope you are aware of it! Ask yourself, what gives you the right to discriminate?

petra_r
Community Member

It is really simple:

The Rising Talent program is given based on very straightforward criteria.

Client Satisfaction is one of them.

Unhappy Client - Rising Talent status is removed.

That outcome will also factor into your Job Success Score.

Bojana O wrote:

Dear, I have an MA in languages. (the University of Belgrade, Faculty of Philology). During my studies, I have won more than five awards for literary competitions in the English language and the Spanish language. I was the only student from the entire University who represented University on the two international, linguistical conferences (AELO and ELLSAC) with fellow professors from prestigious world universities such as Harvard University and Universidad de Complutense de Madrid. I am awarded by the Royal Academy of Spain.

Yes, I am a professor, and that is a title given by the University of Belgrade, Faculty of Philology. I hold more than 7-plus years of work in international companies worldwide in three languages. (Spanish language, English language, Serbian language). I was an official translator to the Serbian government for foreign delegations as well as for the CIRSD center. I have translated, edited, and proofread speeches for UNSG that were broadcasted live to billions of people. I was a coach to startups in Nordics at the University of Copenhagen, Denmark using the English language. I was a business developer for Sweden, and I have developed businesses internationally, using Serbian, English, and Spanish on a daily bases. I was the best salesperson in the English language in a multi-national enterprise in the Caribbean when I was just 18 years old. I'm an expert in what I do. I did my work well, and there are no doubts about it. The client is not right. Instead of questioning my skills and professionalism, suspect the abuse of workers on this platform, and irregularities from the client. 

What I need is genuine assistance to help me deal with an abusive and manipulative client, not questioning my skills. That doesn't come into question. I have all excellent reviews, not a single negative review or complaint ever, and nothing but the highest satisfaction of my clients so far. The easiest thing is to blame someone and question someone without ever seeing the quality of their work and without really understanding the situation. I will not benefit from blame but justice. I can only ask myself why the platform doesn't do anything to protect me and help me solve an issue but is instead questioning my expertise based on a comment from a client who lies?

I'm very sorry that you doubt my expertise and create an issue where there is no issue. I wouldn't pay membership to a platform that discriminates. I thought that this is a great place to work, where freelancers get protected from abusive clients instead of getting questioned for their expertise. No one ever gave themselves a right to question my education as well as a foreign language proficiency level. Your reply is discrimination; I hope you are aware of it! Ask yourself, what gives you the right to discriminate?

Show me proof that I have been discriminating someone.

Jennifer and Bojana, I think there is a simple misunderstanding which is based on the meaning of Professor

In some (very few) countries it means someone who has a PHD, in most in means someone who is officially appointed to lecture at a university.

Personally I think that on a global platform, unless you hold an official high level tenure at a university, it would be better not to use that as your title line

I have asked for help from the community and you pointed out to question myself, with prejudice. You have questioned my title obtained from the University in an honorable way, by hard work and studying. You even wanted me to question myself, asking me to indulge in self-doubt. Your questions are based on prejudice and imply doubt on my education, my skills as well as the proficiency of a non-native language. That is discrimination based on the language that I speak. I am treated less favorably than the client. That is also discrimination. 

I have asked for help, not for dispute. Thank you very much for understanding!

g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi All,

This thread will be closed for further replies since it moved away from the topic that was opened for. 

Thank you all for participating in the discussions. 
I would also like to ask you to be mindful of our Community Guidelines when posting in our Community.

~ Goran
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths