Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Royalties?

Timothy M Member Since: Jun 2, 2015
1 of 16

I just flagged a potential client becase he listed his payment as:

"Pay is on 50/50 royalty share basis contact me for more info"

As far as I'm concerned, this is asking for free work.

I've seen a number of these posts lately.

What is the official UpWork position on royalties?

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
2 of 16

You were correct to flag this job. You can't just offer to pay people in royalties on Upwork.

3 of 16

It gets better. I told the potential client I flagged him over the messaging system. Looks like he flagged me too. Guess it goes to arbitration....

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
4 of 16

wait arbitration? You took a contract for this?

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
5 of 16

Timothy was joking about arbitration.

Community Guru
6 of 16

lol oh whoops

over my head and through my legs... my bad

7 of 16

Yeah my poor attempt at humor. 

There seems to be a rash of people who want freelancers to work for "royalites". I've had a bunch contact me, but this one was too much. I had another issue with a client who wanted me rewrite 2000 words. What the heck is going on out there?

Community Guru
8 of 16

I wrote a lot of ebooks at the beginning of the year and also had someone offer it. Of course, I said no.

I posted this elsewhere but recently got invited to write 5000 words for $40, and the sad and funny part about it is that before I could bid the $1500 for the time it would take me to do what he wanted, he already hired some loser who agreed to it. The high bid was $100, so at most he paid $100 for it. I'm sure it's gonna be a load full of plagiarized junk that he can be proud of.

9 of 16

There is a rant Harlan Ellsion does in "Dreams With Sharp Teeth", a doccumentary about him. Seems the company doing the extas for the Babalyon Five DVD tried to get him to work for "exposure". It's hilarious.

Jef v Member Since: Oct 12, 2016
10 of 16
Mr Preston, I know this is years ago and I am still searching for an answer, however, has there been any updates in "Accepting Royalties" on Upwork. Have you ever done it before? Would you ever do it? Tips for doing it. Straight talk for not doing it. Much respect and gratitude for your POV in advance! _ Jef
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS