cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rude Client Interview

Highlighted
Geraldine L. G Member Since: Feb 13, 2016
1 of 8

Hello, Its my first time posting here. I was just upset about what transpired during the interview. I applied to a job post for a Web Research Expert. He asked for an interview in Skype and he provided instructions for a trial work and gave me a list companies that I need to search CEOs, COOs, CFOs names, and their email information to be submitted after 24 hours.  I did so and submitted what I could find before the 24 hrs but not all of them had emails available online and what I could find were just company emails. After a day or two I asked for the status of my application, but he asked me instead to upload the file in Dropbox and share the link to him.  After a while he wanted to give me a feedback so I said yes and will hear him out.  Instead of telling me first that he declined my proposal because I am not fit for the job, he instead told me that they have never seen such a pathetic work before and that I provided them company emails for some of the names I found.  When in fact he did not said anything about avoiding company emails. He then told me who hires me, that I don't deserve to be an applicant, said **edited for Community Guidelines**

Since I did not want to have anything more to do with him. I replied that it seemed I did not meet his required information, appreciate his feedback  but there is no need for him to be rude.  I said thank you for the opportunity and goodbye.  I understand that its my fault that I could not find some personal emails for him, but he could have just told me outright that I did not get the job and not went off like that.  Then on the proposal its declined for inappropriate job posting. I am not looking for payment for the items or sample work I gave, I just wanted to share this incident.  What are your thougths in this one and do I need to file a report?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Katrina B Member Since: Jan 9, 2011
BEST ANSWER
2 of 8

As a freelancer you have to use your best instincts.  it is the best for u.   You don't trust them move one.  Estabishe yourself as a professional not as someone who will take anything for nothing

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Kieran C Member Since: Aug 21, 2015
3 of 8

While I have no reason to disbelieve you, that does sound like an exceptional scenario. 

I understand it's difficult when you start, and you're more vulnerable to bad clients, demands for samples, and underhand tricks-of-the-trade whereby individuals will do whatever they can to get free work. 

All I can say is to make sure you report the client to Upwork (do not delete the cited messages) and put it down to experience, albeit a bad one. Everyone here has encountered bad clients. In future, you'll get better at identifying those to avoid earlier on. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Scott B Member Since: Nov 20, 2015
4 of 8

This is a bad person.  Not only was he trying (and receiving) free work from you and presumably others, but he also appears to have the need to further insult with words.  So rather than letting someone like this "win", use it as an opportunity to avoid such situations and people in the future.  Free work is a red flag as is likely other things if you read his job posting and perhaps history (I am strongly guessing).  Obviously no one wants to be treated this way but don't let him cause further damage by continuing to let him upset you.  Report him and then take the lessons here to be in better position to land a real opportunity with an actual human being in the next round.

Highlighted
5 of 8

Thank you for your reply guys, I really appreciate it. I've had really good clients ever since I started and it was my first time to encounter such client so I was shock. I have definitely learned my lesson from this incident and move on. 

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
6 of 8

I am sorry to hear you had such an upsetting experience with a client. As others have already wisely suggested on this thread, please report the client to customer support and include screenshots of the communication.

In the future, don't start working without an active contract, which would show in your "My Jobs" tab. You can find more details here.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
7 of 8

Yes, thank you for your reply. I followed their advice and was able to file a report to customer support about this matter. I will never forget about this experience and will be more careful next time.  

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
8 of 8

No need!

@Geraldine L. G wrote:

Yes, thank you for your reply. I followed their advice and was able to file a report to customer support about this matter. I will never forget about this experience and will be more careful next time.  

You said:

" Then on the proposal its declined for inappropriate job posting. "

That means Upwork has already taken action against the client.

When it says: "  declined for inappropriate job posting. " it was Upwork who wiped it, not the client who declined it!

In future do NOT do free work like that!

That client clearly never had any intention of hiring anyone, and just abused a whole bunch of applicants to get the work done for free.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS