Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rude client, free work

danielaanthro
Ace Contributor
Daniela P Member Since: Nov 24, 2015
1 of 7

Hello.

I just wanted to share something with community.

I recently applied to a job  (perfect for me, anthropology). And of course, after few hours I had an interview.

Client asked me to write free TOC and outline, I told him that I'm not doing free work.

But, I send him simple TOC (very basic).

After few hours he told me that my TOC is **Edited for Community Guidelines**". (I have changed some parts)

I flagged his post, but the job is still out there.

screeler
Community Guru
Mariska P Member Since: Apr 27, 2015
BEST ANSWER
2 of 7

@Daniela P wrote:

Hello.

I just wanted to share something with community.

I recantly aplied  to a job  (perfect for me, anthropology). And of course, after few hours I had an interview.

Client asked me to write free TOC and outline, I told him that I'm not doing free work.

But, I send him simple TOC (very basic).

After few hours he told me that my TOC is **Edited for Community Guidelines** . (I have changed some parts)

I flagged his post, but the job is still out there.

wow.

This guy sounds (from what you say) like a stellar human being (sarcasm of course).

If you do a sample and you agreed on a fixed price or hourly rate, then you have to get paid (that's what I think), but if it wasn't agreed upon prior, it's like lending money to family - don't expect to see your money.

You did a little sample of your work, and some wouldn't advise that, and some would. 

Him specifically asking you to write something that sounds lengthy for free is something I can't give an educated comment on, but I'm sure that someone else would. My uneducated opinion is that he violated Tos... BUT  I'm only guessing here. Don't take my word as the gospel. 

His insults and not taking Upworks ToS seriously is a problem.

I don't flag. I open tickets.

I would go ahead and open a ticket even though you flagged his job post, but that's me. 

I'm sure a moderator will see your post and look into this too. They're good like that. Smiley Happy  

View solution in original post

danielaanthro
Ace Contributor
3 of 7

Thank you Mariska.

I did not have any contract with him.

TOC was just the product of my good will. Ten minutes of thinking, I don't want money.

But he was very rude, and that was the problem.

He told me "I want complete outline for free, if you are good I will pay you". 

Very, very rude.

screeler
Community Guru
Mariska P Member Since: Apr 27, 2015
4 of 7

@Daniela P wrote:

Thank you Mariska.

I did not have any contract with him.

TOC was just the product of my good will. Ten minutes of thinking, I don't want money.

But he was very rude, and that was the problem.

He told me "I want complete outline for free, if you are good I will pay you". 

Very, very rude.

I wouldn't want his money either to tell truth. It reeks of bad karma!

It's too bad we encounter rude clients, but good news is there's more nice clients (in my opinon) than rude clients, and that goes for freelancers as well.

Chalk this up to a great learning experience! And, since you had this experience, I think your next potential client dealing will be much better. (don't take that as the gospel either, but I like to think positively sometimes. Woman Happy)

vladag
Community Manager
Vladimir G Community Manager Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
5 of 7

Hi Daniela,

I'm sorry you had a bad experience in communicating with this client. Please submit a report directly to Support so we can review your communication and address the client's behaviour.

I edited your comment since it's a violation of our Community Guidelines to share private communication.

Untitled
danielaanthro
Ace Contributor
6 of 7

Thank you Mariska and Vladimir.

I hope that I will never have rude client again. 

I really like to work with nice and polite clients, and they are usually very polite. Smiley Happy

versailles
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
7 of 7

Cheapos are the worst ones, for some reason.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS