bf29490d

Rude **

Do you know what is amazing? A client calls me a rude **bleep** in her feedback and it publicly dispalys on our profiles and Upwork still has not taken it down. 

I contaced the client of my client (without mentioning Upwork) because she requested that I copy a theme from Themeforest to use as a pitch deck for her clients pitch deck. I told her I was uncomforatble with doing it but my JSS would have gone down if I cancelled the job. 

The job ends, and I immediately get a suspension warning from Upwork saying I have violated their professionalism policy. Lol. And yet, her Rude **bleep** feedback of me is still up for over a week now.

Furthermore, we do the same type of work (pitch deck design) and now her 2.6 review of me means I get less clients and she comes out ahead. 

Newsflash: if you are going to have a platform so focused on quality, you need to actually implement a system that monitors and checks the validity of feedback. There is no net benefit to working on Upwork if clients off Upwork can see my score on Upwork which is not indicative of how I actually work because it is based off of 3 - 4 bad clients over a 1 year period of more than 200. 

Upwork is heading down the Freelancer.com path and it is only a matter of time before they are taken over by Toptal or antoher freelancing site. 

21 REPLIES 21
petra_r

I see no mention of the bleep word in that review.

If you really did contact her own client then you did behave highly unprofessionally....

there is nothing on that feedback that qualifies it for removal.

Also, I am not the only person to have problems with this client and yet, I receive a suspension notice because I try to do the right thing and notify a client that the person they are working with has asked me copy other's work. 

The a word is on the client's response to the freelancer's feedback to her, not on the client's feedback to the freelancer, which is why I did not see it, and he's right, that word should get edited out. 

Yeah, I have been on Upwork for a long time. MI was top rated with a 92% JSS 1 month ago and I got a string of bad clients. Now, it is 73% and I have that review to contend with. 

Makes no sense to stay on the platform anymore. 

katrinabeaver

Petra is right.  This isn't showing up on your profile feedback.  I don't know if the portions of your screenshots were removed from the profile feedback, but I don't see it either. 

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"

I stand corrected and yes it should be taken out. 

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"
javimoregarc

Javier, his JSS has already taken the hit for this contract, due to the bad feedback and the suspension.... Refunding it would not add any further damage. The damage caused by this contract is done.

However, he may be right to not refund as that would mean he worked for free, and if he feels he did everything right refunding would also remove his own feedback from the client's profile...

That client has a long history of hiring cheap freelancers. You'd think she'd learn by now.

@Javier M wrote:

@Petra R wrote:

Javier, his JSS has already taken the hit for this contract, due to the bad feedback and the suspension.... Refunding it will not add any further damage. The damage caused by this contract is done.

That we do not know, do we? AFAIK the calculation details are hidden.

Indeed, but the refund thing has been discussed and answered many times. His JSS would not take an ADDITIONAL hit if he refunded. The contract is closed, and the damage it has done is done. Whatever Alan does now will not affect it further.

Alan, the reason I had not seen the beep word is because I was looking at it on my iPad and the mobile version  is slimmed down and does not show responses etc, so all I saw was the feedback the client left for you. I see the whole exchange on the laptop now.

computerhxr

My advice, avoid subcontracting unless they are a stellar client.  I've had projects where they don't get paid and then get all upset and blame me for it.  It's not my fault; it's the useless middleman’s fault.

You shouldn't have contacted the client's client directly.  You should have purchased the theme and added it to the price.  You shouldn't work for people who have horrible reviews or give horrible reviews.  You made lots of mistakes and now you're suffering the consequences.

Oh yeah, don't work for Lawyers either; they threaten to sue when they don't get their way.  lol

The more that I work, the more people that I learn to avoid.  Leave the jokers for the newbs.  Sorry that it ended in a bad review, but you did act seriously out of line.  Contact Upwork if you feel the client is forcing you into an unethical situation.  You live, you learn Smiley Surprised

It will blow over and I'm sure Upwork will find a way to remove the curse word from the review.  I think you're stuck with the bad review and lower rating.  My JSS is 74% right now and I'm not having any trouble finding work.  Programmers (especially good ones) are difficult to find so the good client know that and will not even blink at the low JSS.  In fact, I hope that it's a deterrent to the jokers. 

evetodew

Alan, after I read the client's feedback (given by another freelancer), clearly she has problems communicating, so whether it's her or your fault, I don't know.

But here are my two tips:

1. Don't compromise your reputation for the silly JSS. I'd never never do anything against my conscience just to please the system (whether in the B&M world, or online).

2. Raise your hourly rate. You'll be treated way better and with respect if people see you're expensive. Cheapos are always treated like **edited for Community Guidelines**. Don't do that to yourself any more. You have massive amount of experience. You can charge many times more.

@Evelina Z wrote:

2. Raise your hourly rate. You'll be treated way better and with respect if people see you're expensive. Cheapos are always treated like **edited for Community Guidelines**. Don't do that to yourself any more. You have massive amount of experience. You can charge many times more.

His $112/hr is too low? That makes me an elephant then. Cat Embarassed

Spoiler
For anyone unfamiliar with the idiom, 'working for peanuts' is working for a small amount of money, and people used to feed elephants peanuts in zoos.

@John K wrote:

@Evelina Z wrote:

His $112/hr is too low? That makes me an elephant then. Cat Embarassed

Spoiler
For anyone unfamiliar with the idiom, 'working for peanuts' is working for a small amount of money, and people used to feed elephants peanuts in zoos.

When I wrote the comment his rate was just $16, so I guess that's far too low for an experienced guy like Alan. 🙂 I'm happy he raised his rate (quite substantially, but still a better choice).

@Evelina Z wrote:

Alan, after I read the client's feedback (given by another freelancer), clearly she has problems communicating, so whether it's her or your fault, I don't know.

But here are my two tips:

1. Don't compromise your reputation for the silly JSS. I'd never never do anything against my conscience just to please the system (whether in the B&M world, or online).

2. Raise your hourly rate. You'll be treated way better and with respect if people see you're expensive. Cheapos are always treated like sh*t. Don't do that to yourself any more. You have massive amount of experience. You can charge many times more.

I agree with 1; disagree with 2.

It makes no difference what your rate is - you will still get clients treating you like poorly on here. I just had a ridiculous twit message me in response to a proposal and I refused his job because he changed the entire project in his message.

He is not "testing" people for the job. He is using his job post as a contest to hire people. I told him that he should have read my profile and noted my hourly rate before contacting me. I cannot post his filthy response. 

Makes no difference what you charge. 

Cairenn,

I agree to disagree 🙂 It's just my personal experience. I landed on nasty clients when I charged less (and a few good though), but right now (when I charge more per logo design) I find better clients, and don't hesitate to reject an offer if it's below my minimum. Since then, 'good clients vs bad clients' inclines more towards good clients. When they are willing to pay more they tend to respect you. I guess, it's kind of like when you buy an expensive jewel, you try to take proper care of it. If it's cheap, you can toss it here and there and eventually break it.

But again, that's my perspective. That works for me. I don't count exceptions - there will be bad clients and good clients no matter how much they pay. But the ratio improves as rates rise.

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Alan,

I understand your frustration and I will follow up with the team about removing the inappropriate word from the client's response to your feedback. We'll not be able to remove the star rating and private feedback you and your client provided on this contract.

Also, please note that a few comments on this thread have been edited or removed for Community Guidelines.

~ Valeria
Upwork
bf29490d

Hi all! 

Thanks for the feedback and positive words. I have decided to pull my profile and my company profile off Upwork. As a business owner, I have enough to worry about than some JSS score based on arbitrary metrics. Additionally, we have tons of clients and at times, you have to fire a client. Off Upwork, you do this without trepidation as to how it will ultimately effect future work. At times, the convenience of securing jobs is much easier on Upwork, however, as a business owner, it no longer makes sense to be on a platform that refuses to monitor it’s own feedback process. Take a look at this post. It took Valerie less than 12 hours to edit my post and comment and yet, unfair / combative feedback from a client still remains. Do you see the hypocrisy of such actions?

The real world, something Upwork clearly does not operate in, doesn’t operate this way. Upwork tries to be the model platform for quality, yet, they do not monitor the validity of statements and feedback. To me, this says "Look at us, we are different, but behind closed doors, we are not." 

I will not lose sleep over not being on Upwork as it will be a short time before a more honest and transparent platform emerges. In the meantime, time to round up some friends and build a competitor to Upwork. 

Best of luck,

Alan

vladag
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Alan,

As an update, I can confirm our team edited the client's response and removed the inappropriate word. This change will come into effect shortly.

Thank you for your patience.

Untitled