🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Russian Client
Page options
goofproof
Community Member

Russian Client

Hello! I'm new to Upwork and recently got a contract from a Russian Amazon client.  The client is payment verified and has good reviews.  However, they are asking me to download telegram and get assignments from them through there.  Is this safe?  Thank you!

6 REPLIES 6
BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Debbie,

Please note that you are not hired for this job and shouldn't provide any work yet. Once the client sends you an offer, you should review it and accept. Once you have reviewed the offer and accepted the terms, a contract will be created. You will be able to see your contracts under the 'My jobs'. You can check this help article for more information about the interviewing and negotiating process. 

Regarding direct communication, it's fine to communicate with your clients by other means outside the platform after they respond to your proposal. I do however advise you to copy all the files and communication into the contract's message room after each conversation and ask your client for acknowledgment, in order to keep a record in case a problem arises.

Please check out this post for more tips on how to avoid questionable jobs and please use the flag option found on each job post or message anytime you’d like to report a violation.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork
goofproof
Community Member

Thank you for your response. Can I completely trust a client if they are payment verified and have several good reviews? Can you look at the job posting for **Edited for community guidelines** and let me know please?

goofproof
Community Member

I have received an offer but am hesitant to accept due to the fact that they are asking me to download Telegram to get the assignments.  Is it possible for a client to be payment verified and have good reviews, but still be a scam? Thank you so much for your time.

goofproof
Community Member

Why would they submit their work through Telegram rather than Upwork?  Thank you for answering all of my questions!

Hi Debbie,

You and the client are allowed to use other methods of communication to get the work done. However, all payments must go through Upwork. Thank you.

~ Joanne
Upwork
nlibin
Community Member

hi Debbie, i understand that your question is probably not relevant anymore. But for the future reference, this is not likely a scammer. Telegram is an app most russians prefer to use for communication as it is cheaper and quicker there (internet&connection wise). I would not be concerned with them wanting to communicate through telegram as long as you follow all the advices you were already given here (like copying everything onto unpwork to document it in case a problem arises. Hope this helps in the future.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members