cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SCAM ALERT: Job is for customer service/data entry/admin assistant.

aimkinlan
Aimee K Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
1 of 8

The job I responded to was for:  

**edited for Community Guidelines**

They were very anxious to have me deposit the check right away.  When I went to the bank, they confiscated the check because it came up as fraudulent on their system.  The check was issued by Citibank for $2946.76.  Because I asked them to confirm the validity of the check before I made a deposit, I was not penalized.  Otherwise, if I had deposited a counterfeit or fraudulent check in my account, the bank would close my account immediately and blacklist me so I was unable to open an account at any of their branches (B of A).  

I am sharing all this information here because I do not know how to notify Upwork any other way.  I figure I'll notify fellow freelancers who are just trying to make an honest buck.  

Good luck out there!

colettelewis
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
BEST ANSWER
2 of 8

Aimée, you have fallen for one of the oldest and most common scams in the business.  You must report it to Upwork customer services, or pm one of the moderators with the details. Some of your post will be deleted, as you are breaking the rules and regs of the forum by posting links to jobs and mentioning "clients" by name - however scammy.

There is a long thread here https://community.upwork.com/t5/Freelancers/Job-warning-signs/m-p/24009#U24009 and dozens of internet sites that tell you about the sort of scams you could encounter while freelancing. You should read them, and become a little more wary in the future.

That said, I cannot understand how it is that Upwork still allows this person (of the same name and MO) to continue on this site.

View solution in original post

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
3 of 8

"You have been shortlisted " = scam

jessicasimko
Community Guru
Jessica S Member Since: Dec 4, 2015
4 of 8

@Preston H wrote:

"You have been shortlisted " = scam

How is THAT the key to knowing it's a scam? I have had several valid clients (jobs are closed, I was paid) say "you are definitely on my shortlist" or exactly the words above, when they first contact me for an interview....?

the first tip off for me was that customer service/data entry jobs don't typically pay near that high of an hourly wage...

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
5 of 8

I agree.

taken alone, shortlisting may be innocuous.

Alongside 20 other tip-offs, it is one of many things experienced contractors will qjickiy notice.

aimkinlan
Aimee K Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
6 of 8

Thank you for the FYI.  I don't want to break any rules.  

csjarmitage
Community Guru
Christy A Member Since: Dec 30, 2015
7 of 8

@Nichola L wrote:

That said, I cannot understand how it is that Upwork still allows this person (of the same name and MO) to continue on this site.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There is a job posting that I report at least three times per week.  In the very first paragraph, the client states that the freelancer will not be paid for their work; that the job is a "platform" for an "exciting management opportunity!"
It's craziness.

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
8 of 8

Hi Aimee,

Thanks for coming to check with the Community and report this job posting. I am following up with the team to make sure it's taken down as soon as possible.

~ Valeria
Upwork
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS